RecipeDB - Lord Nelson Citra Cascading out of this Galaxy Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This beer better be good. I have just spent 50 minutes hand-cranking my tiny grain mill handle on 5Kg of grain. I've got sore arms, blisters, annoyed the neighbours (I live in a townhouse), but the critical problem is my wife asked me how much longer I would be cracking the grain. :blink:

But I always search for a positive: I take that as permission from my wife to automate my grain mill! :super:

Can't wait to crack open the cascade and citra packs and breath deep!!!! :icon_drool2:

:icon_offtopic: Not sure what type of hand mill you have or where on the south side you live but if you get stuck again, happy to help out. I'm in Rochedale South and takes me around 5 mins to mill 5kgs.

got a Malt Muncher grain mill. The real problem is that I haven't got around to mounting the mill to anything so was holding the hopper and mill with one hand, and cranking on the tiny little handle with the other. I will definitely have it powered by the next time I need to mill grain...

huh, I live in Rochedale South as well just behind the Lions club... We should get together for a brew day sometime.

Goomba: is the mash temp for this beer really 71 degrees? It seems quite high to me, but given that it is only my 2nd AG, I know very little.... :D

Nope should be 65 degrees.

Nt sure why 71 came up, though I was going to try a low abv version.

If you did 71 degrees add an extra 10 IBU from 30minute addition to compensate for the extra body.

Maybe 71 is ystrike temp?

I'm about to start the boil and did mash at 71. oops... he he

Very lucky you posted Goomba. I had measured 30 grams of Galaxy for the 30 minute addition, instead of 7.5 grams. I adjusted the hops bill for no-chill.

Am adding 13 grams of Galaxy for the 30 minute addition to help account for the mash temp.

SG pre-boil came out 1 point less than BrewMate so pleased with that. Starting to dial in the beer system a little bit now. I'll have to do some reading on measuring efficiencies and see where I am sitting. Looks like BrewMates 70% default efficiency setting is about bang on.

2nd batch on my new brau-clone and it's going to be a Lord Nelson. Can't wait to get this back on tap again. Citra + cascade keg-hop... :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Just need to grab wheat + crystal from LHBS. Don't have time to get to CB so hopefully my local has equivalent grains.

Angus!!!!! Long time no hear.

I might end up doing this recipe again. I've got a current one with Belma, Citra, Mosaic, CTZ, Cascade, Apollo and Amarillo - great beer. But I only really did it because I had remnants of packets lying around (have ripped through about 1/2 a kg of Citra since I've been in tassie and haven't brewed that much).

I now have enough Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy, so this one will get a gig. And a S&W Clone.

I miss my kegs - keg hopping takes these beers to another level. As does heritage crystal.

Good to hear it's still getting a gig at your joint, mate.

Cheers,

Goomba

Hey Goomba,

I am thinking I'll brew the Lord Nelson for the QLD case swap in July. So this batch I am hoping to end up with about 25L into the fermentor and bottle a few and see how they go. Will have to dry-hop after majority of ferment has happened and see what happens in the bottles.

I can't make it out to CB before brew day (Saturday) so I'll have to grab whatever crystal is at my local place, so most probably not heritage crystal.

That big passionfruit smack in the face is awesome. :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Things have been pretty busy around here. New baby ready to drop in the next 4 weeks, so madly trying to get jobs finished around the house.

Thanks,
Angus.

Hey Angus

Good on you - that's your second, amiright?

Get yourself brewed up for about 6 months - I did when my youngest was born in October 2012. Worked a treat, and the older kids were able to help/hinder me.

Should be a good case swap beer - safe as hell. But the big passionfruit out of the keg is something else. Current beer hasn't got that, but does have an interesting stonefruit, citrus thing going. I have about 150g of Galaxy flowers, plus 200g of Nelson Sauvin Flowers. So booyeah. A couple of simpler hop regimes.

Are you chilling or no chilling yours - because I never no-chilled the recipe, but I'm starting to get cube hopping downpat and might have a crack with it.

Let me know how the dry hopping at the end of ferment goes. I was thinking of trying it out this time but forgot and BRY97 does scrub a little hopping I find.

yep 2nd kiddy. Hamish is 2 yrs old next month and is VERY mobile. Loves to help out in the garden or building, but I always brew when he is not home. Cause he would love to help out there.. :blink:

I am wondering how many batches of beer I can punch out over Easter break without upsetting 'er indoors. Would be good to queue up 4 or 5 cubes to hopefully last me through the first couple of months. I have Wed and Thu off next week, but have some pretty intensive work in the garden to do, so perhaps no brewing then. Unless I did it at night time.

Yep, I am fairly confident in the bottled beer being drinkable. It will be interesting to see how the dry-hop in fermentor comes out aroma-wise in the bottle. I have been using US-05 in my ales

I no-chill. Actually no-chilled the first 2 Nelsons. I cube-hopped my recent Hulk Smash Citra (5.5kgs BB Ale, about 35gms citra at 60, 10, and cube-hop) so we will see how that worked out. Currently fermenting and should be kegged end of next week. Also keg-hopping with citra. :icon_drool2: I should bought bulk quantities of citra....

I'll post back here about how the ferment hop goes with the Nelson.

LRG, there seems to be 3 different grain bills in this thread: the original with rye & caramunich, the "sans-Nelson" with red wheat & heritage crystal and the "Lord Nelson is dead" with 9% carared. Just curious if you prefer one over another? I'm planning on brewing this without the Nelson, but possibly with mosaic at 10 mins and dry.

Had a crack at this for my second AG BIAB in the crown urn and it turned out a real winner!! Messed up my cube hops and had to do a mini (2L) boil with some citra and DME half way through fermentation but it turned out a treat.

It's only been in the bottle for 10 days and I've already chugged a good portion of the finished product.

Thanks for sharing the recipe with us LRG!!!

Back