RecipeDB - Kolsch '07

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rough60

Reaction score

Kolsch '07

Ale - Kölsch
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

This was fermented in the high 20's within 5 days, would have been better probably with temp control. Drink while fresh. Mash at 64degC for lower FG (1.008).

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
3.6 kg JWM Export Pilsner
0.3 kg JWM Wheat Malt
0.1 kg Weyermann Carapils(Carafoam)

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
12 g Saaz B (NZ) (pellet, 8.0AA%, 60mins)
8 g Tettnang (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 10mins)
6 g Saaz B (NZ) (pellet, 8.0AA%, 30mins)
6 g Tettnang (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 30mins)
4 g Tettnang (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

1000 ml White Labs WLP029 - German Ale/Kolsch

Misc

1 g Irish Moss
22L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.047 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.012 (calc)
  • Bitterness 21.9 IBU
  • Efficiency 83.5%
  • Alcohol 4.54%
  • Colour 5 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 5 days
  • Conditioning 2 days

Couple of comments:

Probably would not bother with the carapils.

Also there was no mention there of yeast that I could see. Yeast selection for this style I believe is very important. The Kolsch yeasts that I know of (wyeast 2656 and the white labs equivalent) ferment surprisingly cool temperatures (12-16) while still technically considered an ale yeast.

I generally only do a single 60 min hop addition for a target of ~ 25IBU (20-30 in the style guidelines).

You also need to try dry this one out. You should be targeting around the 80%+ attenuation make (ie need to mash low).

Despite being an ale this style still benefits from being lagered for a month or two.

Hey chris,
i've got the white labs in there, it's an ale yeast, ceravisea, lagers are carlsberginis. (spelling? sorry).
Also, it's a simple recipe with proven results for people who want to try this style.
It's definately not the only way to make a kolsch.
cheers.

Should be no hop flavour or aroma at all in a kolsch. Have you tried it without late hop additions? You should ge a nice refreshing flavour profile from the yeast anyway. I have had good results with Hersbrucker or Spalt at 60m only. A little flavour comes through.

MFS.

Yeah I thought about only 60min hop additions, but style guidelines do allow for low hop flavour/aroma. Which is what I prefer.
This beer wasn't made specifically for a comp, but seemed to fit the guidelines, so I entered it.

Hey chris,
i've got the white labs in there, it's an ale yeast, ceravisea, lagers are carlsberginis. (spelling? sorry).
Also, it's a simple recipe with proven results for people who want to try this style.
It's definately not the only way to make a kolsch.
cheers.

Thanks rough60, next time I will study the recipe better before making comment.

Out of interest what temp did you ferment at?

it was around 28deg. we had some nice warm spring weather last year when I pitched and I don't have temp control, yet.

Back