RecipeDB - Kamikaze Rice Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Reaction score

Kamikaze Rice Lager

Pilsner - American Lager
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

Strange but tasty beast. Fermented during Melbourne's worst heat wave for the year. Pitched at 8 degrees, fermenter crept up to 15 degrees over a few days. Beer was not lagered just fined with gelatin and is drinking like any pilsner after 3 weeks. Going to be using a lot more S189 yeast this winter. Finally a dried lager yeast that does what it's supposed to and can stand a load of abuse.
2 Points did not use rice syrup. I used flaked rice which for some reason is not listed on the d/base. Beer was also a little darker than the 5EBC listed. Reasons probably being that the S189 yeastcake I repitched on was from a stout. Some of the colour mildly tainted it to a slight gold (which I like)

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4.6 kg BB Pale Malt
1 kg BB Ale Malt
1.5 kg Rice Solids

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
75 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 15mins)
20 g Green Bullet (Pellet, 13.5AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

24 g DCL Yeast S-189 - SafLager German Lager

Misc

1 tablet Whirfloc
45L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.047 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.013 (calc)
  • Bitterness 24.3 IBU
  • Efficiency 92%
  • Alcohol 4.41%
  • Colour 5 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Conditioning 1 days

Nice efficiency there Warren, any reason for using both Pilsner and Ale malt?

It's been a long time since I brewed a Lager with rice in the grist, I may give this a go soon.

Andrew

Nice efficiency there Warren, any reason for using both Pilsner and Ale malt?

It's been a long time since I brewed a Lager with rice in the grist, I may give this a go soon.

Andrew

:lol: Was the last of my current bulk buy malts Andrew. Ran out of Pale (pilsner malt). The ale actually added a little more depth of body to the beer.

The efficiency is surprising the heck out of me too. Things have changed for the better since going from a Marga to a Monster. I have the Monster set as fine as I dare (1.1mm) and I'm reaping the results. Also I'm factoring in a 20 minute protein rest at 55 degrees. The pundits will tell you that step mashing raises your efficiency for some reason.

I really thought the rice would mute the flavour. To my surprise the malt body is still firm and the rice is letting the 15 minute Hersbrucker addition really come through with a spicy flavour. :)

Warren -

hi, i have some 500g of rice flaked (blue Lake) and am thinking about yousing it in a my wort of 23L with 1 or 2 kg extract dried malt light, and steeping 500g of caramalt malt (Barrett Burston). cluster hops. what would some one recomend how i go about adding my rice flake??

Beau, if you are going to use flaked rice you need to use some base malt, malted ale or pilsner malt, to provide the enzymes that will convert the starches in the flaked grains into sugars that the yeast can use. The malt extract can't do that. That means you will need to do a partial mash so make sure you have a good thermometer and can keep the mash at around 65C. If you haven't tried this before, it might be worth leaving this for a while till you have the equipment and know what you are trying to do. But if you are keen, do a bit of reading at howtobrew.com.

Beau, if you are going to use flaked rice you need to use some base malt, malted ale or pilsner malt, to provide the enzymes that will convert the starches in the flaked grains into sugars that the yeast can use. The malt extract can't do that. That means you will need to do a partial mash so make sure you have a good thermometer and can keep the mash at around 65C. If you haven't tried this before, it might be worth leaving this for a while till you have the equipment and know what you are trying to do. But if you are keen, do a bit of reading at howtobrew.com.

Stuster, thanku for your help it is much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back