RecipeDB - Just a Trickle Dark Mild

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Reaction score

Just a Trickle Dark Mild

Ale - English Dark Mild
All Grain
* * * * - 3 Votes

Brewer's Notes

Name was derived from using hop plugs and a copper scrubby over the pickup tube. Subsequently the wort took about 90 mins to run off to the fermenter. Produced a superb beer. One keg was dry-hopped with 2 Goldings plugs and the other wasn't. Preferred the dryhopped one. Outstanding quaffer.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
6.5 kg Powells Ale Malt (Powells Malt)
0.5 kg TF Pale Crystal
0.3 kg TF Amber Malt
0.3 kg TF Pale Chocolate Malt
0.06 kg TF Black Malt

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
57.2 g Goldings, East Kent (Pellet, 5.0AA%, 75mins)
14.3 g Goldings, East Kent (Pellet, 5.0AA%, 10mins)
14.3 g Goldings, East Kent (Pellet, 5.0AA%, 5mins)
10 g Northdown (Pellet, 8.5AA%, 75mins)

Yeast

2000 ml Wyeast Labs 1968 - London ESB Ale

Misc

0.5 tablet Whirfloc
44L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.038 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.011 (calc)
  • Bitterness 27 IBU
  • Efficiency 71%
  • Alcohol 3.5%
  • Colour 30 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 12 days
  • Secondary 12 days
  • Conditioning 1 days

Sensational beer! Took a few bottles with me for the long weekend as my partners old man is a light beer drinker. He was impressed altho for the 1st time, said my beer wasnt bitter enough.

That 1968 has a fantastic flavour profile, though IMO it's prone to go rampant on the diacetyl if not treated right. Is the WLP002 as good?

MFS.

Sensational beer! Took a few bottles with me for the long weekend as my partners old man is a light beer drinker. He was impressed altho for the 1st time, said my beer wasnt bitter enough.

Hey good to hear Dr. Smurto! :)

Next time serve him up some fermented with Ringwood to teach him a good lesson. :lol:

Warren -

It was 1187 ringwood! Might have fermented it on the cool side of 20 tho. Mashed high, 69 i think. OG 1.040, FG 1.020. I thought 1.020 was a tad high so i roused it daily for 3 days and warmed it up to 20-22 but there it stayed.

Thinking of adding 100g of roasted barley or black malt for the next one. This 1187 yeast drops clear! Damn! No need for polyclar.

Dug up an old thread, and given the legends posting on it, I had to ask questions.

Okey dokey - dry yeast variant that would work best for the mild - is Windsor going to finish too high, or is there another variety that will work well for this?

Cheers,

Chris

Dug up an old thread, and given the legends posting on it, I had to ask questions.

Okey dokey - dry yeast variant that would work best for the mild - is Windsor going to finish too high, or is there another variety that will work well for this?

Cheers,

Chris

Windsor definitely for this one.

I'm also doing a dark mild for this year's comp rounds. Mine got as far as the Nats last year and I was perusing the scoresheets and all agreed a bit too sweet for a session beer, use a better attenuating yeast. I had been using Ringwood. The tryout batch this year will be done on CraftBrewer's blended dry yeast which is a combo of Windsor and S-04 - looking forward to the results.

BTW, 70 mash

edit: may I suggest Carafa 2 instead of the black malt.

I'm also doing a dark mild for this year's comp rounds. Mine got as far as the Nats last year and I was perusing the scoresheets and all agreed a bit too sweet for a session beer, use a better attenuating yeast. I had been using Ringwood. The tryout batch this year will be done on CraftBrewer's blended dry yeast which is a combo of Windsor and S-04 - looking forward to the results.

BTW, 70 mash
Agreed 70 mash temp.
For home consumption I like it to finish a little higher, have used Windsor previously but to do well in comps and to fit the style guidelines you need it to finish 1.010 or slightly lower.
Nige

I had a feeling that it would be up there. I was going to stab at 70 (nice round number) so that works well.

I'm thinking of using caraaroma (500g) and amber (250g) on top of perle for mine up to 1.039, mashing at 69-70, but upping the bittering just a little to 25 IBU, with a whack of EKG at dry hop.

I'm torn between getting it too sweet, and how to counter, whether countering by balancing it with bitterness, or slightly lowering mash temp to dry it out a little. I suppose it's because I brew everything at 1.050 and above and am used to balancing higher grav, higher abv beers.

Decisions, decisions :)

Glad I dug this thread up though.

Goomba

BTW, 70 mash

edit: may I suggest Carafa 2 instead of the black malt.

Bribie - Our English blend is Windsor + US-05.

Cheers Ross

I had a feeling that it would be up there. I was going to stab at 70 (nice round number) so that works well.

I'm thinking of using caraaroma (500g) and amber (250g) on top of perle for mine up to 1.039, mashing at 69-70, but upping the bittering just a little to 25 IBU, with a whack of EKG at dry hop.

I'm torn between getting it too sweet, and how to counter, whether countering by balancing it with bitterness, or slightly lowering mash temp to dry it out a little. I suppose it's because I brew everything at 1.050 and above and am used to balancing higher grav, higher abv beers.

Decisions, decisions :)

Glad I dug this thread up though.

Goomba

How good is this recipe. I've brewed it as per the db and also with a few adjustments. It's pretty much my house ale.

Personally I now know that i'm not a fan of amber malt. It lends a harshness that I don't like. I now sub with Munich.
Cararoma is a good option.
Mash at 70. I've never used windsor so can't comment on sweetness. I use ringwood in this recipe. Works really well. Next time will be 1469.
The small amount of black malt will go a little way to counter the sweetness.
Bitter with Fuggles or EKG. Dry hop with EKG or Styrians.

It's really nice to have a beer on tap that's tasty but isn't gonna knock you for 6.

Cheers

How good is this recipe. I've brewed it as per the db and also with a few adjustments. It's pretty much my house ale.

Personally I now know that i'm not a fan of amber malt. It lends a harshness that I don't like. I now sub with Munich.
Cararoma is a good option.
Mash at 70. I've never used windsor so can't comment on sweetness. I use ringwood in this recipe. Works really well. Next time will be 1469.
The small amount of black malt will go a little way to counter the sweetness.
Bitter with Fuggles or EKG. Dry hop with EKG or Styrians.

It's really nice to have a beer on tap that's tasty but isn't gonna knock you for 6.

Cheers

Biscuit then?

As for Windsor, I've used it in a Dark Ale last year (which finished after a high mash at 1.022) which was uber tasty, and I'm currently brewing a brown with it. Krausen is 2 inches thick (which I dont' normally get from dry yeast). I can vouch for it being a pretty good yeast. Ross mentioned that it is fruity (something that I'd have not noticed on its own in the Dark Ale, given I put cherries and honey in it).

I'm thinking of getting some high AA% british hop, such as target, then some flavour additions at 15 minutes of EKG and then dry hop with EKG as well.

Goomba

Biscuit then?

As for Windsor, I've used it in a Dark Ale last year (which finished after a high mash at 1.022) which was uber tasty, and I'm currently brewing a brown with it. Krausen is 2 inches thick (which I dont' normally get from dry yeast). I can vouch for it being a pretty good yeast. Ross mentioned that it is fruity (something that I'd have not noticed on its own in the Dark Ale, given I put cherries and honey in it).

I'm thinking of getting some high AA% british hop, such as target, then some flavour additions at 15 minutes of EKG and then dry hop with EKG as well.

Goomba
Biscuit would be great. Hopping plan sounds like the go too.

I'd sub brown for the amber malt personally.

Why is that Doc? What difference is there between brown and biscuit that makes you choose that?

Thanks for all your opinions, they are helpful for someone that hasn't brewed mild and knows there is nothing to hide behind (unlike other styles I do produce).

Goomba

Why is that Doc? What difference is there between brown and biscuit that makes you choose that?

Thanks for all your opinions, they are helpful for someone that hasn't brewed mild and knows there is nothing to hide behind (unlike other styles I do produce).

Goomba

Personal preference. I like what brown malt brings to porters and I think of dark milds as baby porters.....

Latest posts

Back