RecipeDB - Hoppy Wheat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcsoccer

Reaction score

Hoppy Wheat

Ale - American Wheat
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

The boil was a full 60 mins, but you could boil for 10 mins, add the hops, and boil for 10 more mins and be done. Very fast brew.

The Amarillo hops are really Citra. They are a very new American hop with high alpha and strong tropical fruit aromas and flavors (grapefruit, mango, papaya, and pineapple). Best known as a dry hop in Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
2.72 kg Weyermann Pilsner
2.26 kg Hoepfner Wheat Malt Light
0.23 kg TF Pale Crystal
0.23 kg Powells Carawheat (Powells Malts)

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
113.4 g Amarillo (Pellet, 8.9AA%, 10mins)

Yeast

500 ml White Labs WLP051 - California Ale V
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.05 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.014 (calc)
  • Bitterness 40.7 IBU
  • Efficiency 66%
  • Alcohol 4.67%
  • Colour 11 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 1 days

Where did you get hold of Amarillo flowers?

Actually, I should make a correction on that recipe. It was Citra hops that I used. It's a relatively new hop in the US. I was only able to get it starting about a year ago. I brewed this in the States about 3 months ago. I just moved to Townsville, so I wouldn't know where to get them here. Sorry.

Here is the description:

Typical alpha: 10-12%. A very new American hop with parentage from Hallertau Mittelfruh, East Kent Goldings, and others. High alpha and strong tropical fruit aromas and flavors (think mango, papaya, and pineapple). Best known as a dry hop in Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA.

It would be nice to be able to get some here. I like using them for dry-hopping to get a fantastic citrusy aroma.

Cheers!

Actually, I should make a correction on that recipe. It was Citra hops that I used. It's a relatively new hop in the US. I was only able to get it starting about a year ago. I brewed this in the States about 3 months ago. I just moved to Townsville, so I wouldn't know where to get them here. Sorry.

Here is the description:

Typical alpha: 10-12%. A very new American hop with parentage from Hallertau Mittelfruh, East Kent Goldings, and others. High alpha and strong tropical fruit aromas and flavors (think mango, papaya, and pineapple). Best known as a dry hop in Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA.

It would be nice to be able to get some here. I like using them for dry-hopping to get a fantastic citrusy aroma.

Cheers!

Been brewing with Citra for a couple of years - last batch came from nikohops in the US, but usually I just grab some from craftbrewer.

Not hard to get hold of.

Goomba

Been brewing with Citra for a couple of years - last batch came from nikohops in the US, but usually I just grab some from craftbrewer.

Not hard to get hold of.

Goomba

That's good to know! I need to get some new equipment because I sold all of mine before moving here. The beer prices here are outrageous!

Latest posts

Back