RecipeDB - Honey Citrus Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jurule

Reaction score

Honey Citrus Ale

Ale - English Pale Ale
Extract
* * * * - 1 Votes

Brewer's Notes

Honey is Orange Blossom. Add @5mins along with zest of 3 oranges and 2 lemons.
Coopers LME 1.7kg is a Coopers Pale Ale kit.
Makes recipe up to about 42 IBU.

Should be roughly 6% abv bottled.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
0.3 kg Weyermann Melanoidin
0.2 kg TF Crystal
1.7 kg Coopers LME - Light
1.5 kg Generic LME - Light
0.6 kg Clover Honey

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
30 g Styrian Goldings (Pellet, 5.4AA%, 20mins)
20 g Fuggles (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 15mins)
20 g Styrian Goldings (Pellet, 5.4AA%, 10mins)

Yeast

11 ml Danstar - Nottingham
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.055 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.014 (calc)
  • Bitterness 19.6 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 5.33%
  • Colour 19 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 14 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

Add another 150g of orange blossom honey into secondary. Boiled with 250ml water for a couple minutes first.
Leave. 2 more days then cold crash for a few more days.

Lots of hops (varieties) in this with little to instruct a newcomer as to "how to"
For example how much water, is it a rolling boil or lower controlled temp?
What is the total time of boil & I suppose the shorter duration exposures are timed from the end?
You would need quite an extensive stock of hop varieties just to pull these particular ones right?

How to will come from elsewhere rather than a recipe in the db.

What questions do you have re hops and I'll see if I can answer or direct you to the answer.

PM so as not to derail the recipe thread.

Just had the first few bottles of this one, followed the recipe almost to the letter and it's come up great. Cracked the first one open around the 2 week mark of conditioning and the flavour hadn't quite developed, great by the start of the 3rd week of conditioning.

I'm going to try adding a combo of orange and lemon juice, few hundred ml of each maybe, and changing the hop profile a bit with some Amarillo.

Great recipe however, thanks for posting!

Just had the first few bottles of this one, followed the recipe almost to the letter and it's come up great. Cracked the first one open around the 2 week mark of conditioning and the flavour hadn't quite developed, great by the start of the 3rd week of conditioning.

I'm going to try adding a combo of orange and lemon juice, few hundred ml of each maybe, and changing the hop profile a bit with some Amarillo.

Great recipe however, thanks for posting!
Why don't you try orange/lemon zest in the boil with the hops instead of juice. it will give it more aroma and less sour taste.

Latest posts

Back