RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah thanks, I just read a few threads about bulk priming and also found a popular online calculator. What carbonation level should I aim for with this beer?

Edit: just found the answer two pages back, I knew I read it sometime! 1.8 - 2.

I think I am now confident to ferment in primary for 14 days at 18c. Rack to secondary for 7 days at 2c (or 1c), then add my dissolved sugar 'syrup' into secondary just before bottling. At this stage I imagine (having racked to secondary) there will be a lot less sediment to disturb when I stir in my sugar.

Sounding on track? :)

Ah thanks, I just read a few threads about bulk priming and also found a popular online calculator. What carbonation level should I aim for with this beer?

Edit: just found the answer two pages back, I knew I read it sometime! 1.8 - 2.

I think I am now confident to ferment in primary for 14 days at 18c. Rack to secondary for 7 days at 2c (or 1c), then add my dissolved sugar 'syrup' into secondary just before bottling. At this stage I imagine (having racked to secondary) there will be a lot less sediment to disturb when I stir in my sugar.

Sounding on track? :)

I normally ferment right out, give my beer another week on the yeast. crash chill the beer on the yeast to clear it up ( a week in my case max), rack to secondary only to bulk prime and bottle immediately. Once I have racked I prefer to keep things moving to avoid risk of infection.

Thats just how i do it.

Nothing wrong with your thinking though

When using the US05 yeast (as recommended in the recipes) will I be fine pitching dry? Should i use one packet or two?

This is my first AG so hoping to avoid rehydrating and running into potential problems.

Also will I run into blockage problems when I'm transferring from the kettle to my fermenter, having used hop pellets? Ive got a s/s kettle with ballvalve. Will things be ok with a quick whirlpool perhaps?

Sorry if this has all been covered.

Thanks.

I've actually managed to pick up another 30L fermenter so I will be racking to it after 14 days in primary - hoping this will give me a clearer beer also.

If I want to bulk prime, would this be a suitable time to do it? As you rack into secondary for the recommended 7 days? Or is bulk priming done just before bottling...?

A lot of good responses from others but I'll add my 2c.

1 pack of dry yeast per 20-23L in fine, you can simply sprinkle on top if you wish, many people advise rehydrating first. Whatever you feel comfortable doing. Rehydrating is easy - boil the kettle, pour into a measuring jug and cover with gladwrap. When it has cooled down to 30C sprinkle in the yeast and recover. Leave for 30 mins then pitch into your wort.

A good whirlpool post boiling should keep all the trub/hops etc from getting into your fermenter.

14 days primary, rack to another fermenter or cube, crash chill to 1-2C and leave for another 7 days. If bottling i would then rack again to another cube which has the dissolved priming sugar sitting in the bottom. As the container fills up it will mix in the priming sugar. Bottle immediately. This is my method. There is no reason you couldn't skip the first racking and crash chill in the fermenter for 7 days then rack at bottling.

Carbonation is a personal thing. I prefer lower carbonated beers so 1.8-2.0 max is about where i aim.

Tasted my 2 fermenters of this last night. 10 days primary and already getting clear. Tasting as good as always in my biased opinion. Will be racking/crash chilling this weekend.

As always thanks for the replies everyone, very helpful.

As you started DrSmurto, 1 pack of US05 is good for up to 23L, I'm however aiming for 25L into the fermenter. Would 1 pack still be suitable, or would you recommend I throw in 1/4 of a second packet. I'm happy to fork out for a second packet if it's going to give me better results.

At this beginner stage I think I'll stick to pitching dry, for now :)

As always thanks for the replies everyone, very helpful.

As you started DrSmurto, 1 pack of US05 is good for up to 23L, I'm however aiming for 25L into the fermenter. Would 1 pack still be suitable, or would you recommend I throw in 1/4 of a second packet. I'm happy to fork out for a second packet if it's going to give me better results.

At this beginner stage I think I'll stick to pitching dry, for now :)

I'd stick with 1 packet.

You might need a little bit extra aeration and given you have 2 fermenters this is an easy thing to do.

Before pitching the yeast lift the fermenter full of wort up to a height so that it can drain into your 2nd fermenter below. This drop will aerate the wort better than shaking/whisking it will with less effort required.

Lol I think he was acknowledging you beating him to the punch, hence his GOD DAMN YOU! :)

Ok. I'll be draining from my kettle directly into my fermenter from a height so it might make more sense if I try your method of aeration straight away into my first fermenter :) easy done.

Lol I think he was acknowledging you beating him to the punch, hence his GOD DAMN YOU! :)

Ok. I'll be draining from my kettle directly into my fermenter from a height so it might make more sense if I try your method of aeration straight away into my first fermenter :) easy done.

I'm assuming you have an immersion chiller that enables you to chill in the kettle and you are droppong cold wort from a height, not hot wort?

IMG_0020.jpg

slightly different hop schedule but i still call it Dr Smurto's
i liked the look of the grain bill and decided to have a go.

Brewing this on tuesday Biab style. Its my first real all grain brew so i'm really looking forward to it.

Brewing this on tuesday Biab style. Its my first real all grain brew so i'm really looking forward to it.

Goodluck dan26, I have made this twice, first time it was all drunk by my mates very quickly, second time it's currently carbing up in bottles, forgot to dry hop this time, well at least I can compare. Oh and mates don't know about this brew, haha

I put this down as my first AG.
My OG was a little high (1.052) but the US05 (rehydrated) ate it down quickly to 1.011 and after 16 days at 18 I racked then bottled. (I didn't crash chill because my Ferm Fridge doesn't get that low. I should mention that this is also my first rack-then-bottle experience also, which was fine although I was concerned about the sugar mixing in correctly. It's been in the bottles for nearly a week and I am getting impatient!!!!

Darn you beer, I want to drink you but you don't want me to drink you.

okay finally gave in and put one of these bad boys in the fridge today. Just poured it and it was beautiful! Much better than my toucans and K&K's. A little bit undercarbed at this point (12 days at 18.5) but had a lovely golden colour and subtle bitterness. Laced the glass up wonderfully and had a beautiful aroma.

The only problem, my Mrs said "I could drink heaps of that!" so I think I will have to battle to stop her drinking it all :)

Thanks Dr...

I made this a few weeks ago now and has been in the keg for around 2-3 weeks (cant really remember!) and it is definately going down well. I made the rye version and its bloody delicious. I cant see the keg lasting much longer ;)

okay finally gave in and put one of these bad boys in the fridge today. Just poured it and it was beautiful! Much better than my toucans and K&K's. A little bit undercarbed at this point (12 days at 18.5) but had a lovely golden colour and subtle bitterness. Laced the glass up wonderfully and had a beautiful aroma.

The only problem, my Mrs said "I could drink heaps of that!" so I think I will have to battle to stop her drinking it all :)

Thanks Dr...

Get her pregnant, that'll stop her.

Back