RecipeDB - Czech Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive just put on a double batch into two fermenters.

Batch 1:
45g Tettnang 4.9%
czech saaz boiled for 20 in hop sock then removed to no chill
og: 1.045

Batch 2:
35g of Perle 8.2%
czech saaz boiled for 20 in kettle then left into no chill. Strained wort into fermenter.
og: 1.042

Not quite sure why my efficiency is so low on batch 2, but the taste is slightly more bitter than batch 1. I think from now on I will do all of my <30min additions without the hop sock

I'll do a final report back in 10 - 12 weeks :)

Cheers.

From what i've read, Southern Cross is a 'piney, resinous bittering hop'. Think maybe I could sub it for Chinook, or is it too 'citrusy' for a Pils?

Guys its a 60min addition. There will be a slight difference but who cares. I think everyone is reading too bloody much.

I would be using something around the same AA. Try galena, columbus. Or whatever you have. It dosent have to be the same hop, just keep it within reason and it will be pretty bloody close.

I'm attempting to add this into Beersmith and trying to add the weyermann bohemian pilsner grains but having trouble finding all the specs for this grain.

What's "Lovibond"?
One of the options in BeerSmith is "Diastic Power" - yet I can't find these details for this grain....
Also it ask for protein % - and again I can't find what this should be set to for this grain...

Any ideas?

Cheers
Hunt

I don't think protein % and diastatic power come into effect in any of the calculations in BS2, they're just there for the record.

But anyway, you can download a zip file of spec sheets for all Weyermann's products from their website, mine says 81% yeild, 5% moisture, 3.5 EBC (1.8L), 10.5% protein, 110 lintner.

Ordering some gear to make this brew today,
One question, I was going to use some tettnang subbed for the southern cross and i have other recipes that i can use the tettnang for..
Is there alot of difference using Wyeast 1056 @ 16c vs Wyeast Pilsner Lager?

Ordering some gear to make this brew today,
One question, I was going to use some tettnang subbed for the southern cross and i have other recipes that i can use the tettnang for..
Is there alot of difference using Wyeast 1056 @ 16c vs Wyeast Pilsner Lager?
The Tett should work fine as a bittering addition, however Tett is usually a flavour/aroma hop where Southern Cross is a bittering hop, so make sure you adjust the IBU's for the change in AA when swapping the hops.

Given that 1056 is an ale yeast there is 'alot of difference' between that and the 2278 lager yeast.
However, the end result using 1056 should be clean enough to enjoy, but it won't be a lager.
However fermenting ale yeasts cooler does not always make them 'cleaner', often if you ferment in their ideal range they will produce a cleaner result than making them work cold.

The Tett should work fine as a bittering addition, however Tett is usually a flavour/aroma hop where Southern Cross is a bittering hop, so make sure you adjust the IBU's for the change in AA when swapping the hops.

Given that 1056 is an ale yeast there is 'alot of difference' between that and the 2278 lager yeast.
However, the end result using 1056 should be clean enough to enjoy, but it won't be a lager.
However fermenting ale yeasts cooler does not always make them 'cleaner', often if you ferment in their ideal range they will produce a cleaner result than making them work cold.

Hmmmmm, Ok, well i have only used a lager yeast once when i first started doing extracts and haven't done any since but i reckon i will just follow this one as the recipe says and use southern cross and lager yeast.

Hi,

I'm about to make a 25l batch of this and I just want to check on the amount of yeast required. At this stage, maybe I should point out that I'm fairly new to all grain homebrew.

Do I really need to use 2500 ml of yeast?! It looks to me as though the Wyeast Activator comes in 125 ml sachets - how many of these do I need?

Thanks

use THIS! calculator. It depends on the health of the yeast and the gravity of the wort. But if its relativly fresh and under 1050 then pitching just the activator should be fine once swallen

Hi,

I'm about to make a 25l batch of this and I just want to check on the amount of yeast required. At this stage, maybe I should point out that I'm fairly new to all grain homebrew.

Do I really need to use 2500 ml of yeast?! It looks to me as though the Wyeast Activator comes in 125 ml sachets - how many of these do I need?

Thanks

2500 mL will refer to 2500 mL of wort that has been fermented out with your yeast, giving you a desired quantity of yeast cells. The 125 mL in the wyeast pack is pure and when healthy should contain around 100 billion cells. If done correctly, you will grow your cells into a larger amount in the smaller amount of wort.

For a lager under 1050-1060, 2 fresh activator packs will probably be adequate, for an ale: one. You can otherwise use the linked calculator to estimate starter size, re-using from slurry etc, etc. Strong beers and lagers require a bigger pitch of healthy yeast.

Guys its a 60min addition. There will be a slight difference but who cares. I think everyone is reading too bloody much.

I would be using something around the same AA. Try galena, columbus. Or whatever you have. It dosent have to be the same hop, just keep it within reason and it will be pretty bloody close.

I have read somewhere (on here, I think) that Pilsner Urquell is brewed using only a 60 minute hop addition. I reckon a beer as transparent as a clean pilsner, the 60 minute addition will have a fairly large impact on flavour. Urquell tastes pretty damn Saaz-y.

I have read somewhere (on here, I think) that Pilsner Urquell is brewed using only a 60 minute hop addition. I reckon a beer as transparent as a clean pilsner, the 60 minute addition will have a fairly large impact on flavour. Urquell tastes pretty damn Saaz-y.
What you read 'somewhere' directly contradicts what you can read here: http://brewingtechniques.com/library/backi....3/urquell.html
(Which I'd suggest is likely to be quite accurate).

Thanks good read.
Reminded me a lot of what i had forgotten between visiting the place and claiming my first free drink in the cellar...

What you read 'somewhere' directly contradicts what you can read here: http://brewingtechniques.com/library/backi....3/urquell.html
(Which I'd suggest is likely to be quite accurate).

Ah, cheers. Happy to be proven wrong if it means I learn something. I found the thread I read that info, and later in the thread this info is contradicted with plenty of supporting evidence. Should have kept reading the first time!

I am wanting to try this as my first AG brew for Chrissy but like pomsdownunder I have a few questions:

How much wort does this make?
How much water do I start with?

I am looking to do this in a BIAB as I have not a lot of equipment (or cashola) at my disposable.

Any pointers most welcome

Jaypes,

I'd be tempted to do something else besides a pils for your first AG.

They really are a style where there's no place to hide mistakes, even though its a very simple recipe in terms of ingredients (malt and hop bill) which always makes it easier for a first AG.

I'd look at doing something more along the lines of a malty and/or hoppy ale for your first AG, so you can learn your system/setup after a couple of batches, and then go ahead with the pils. You should at least be able to pick up a couple of things you can improve on with your first few beers which will make the pils all that more enjoyable.

It really is just my 2c though, so feel free to brew anything you please on your first run.

Thats what this hobby is all about after all!

Latest posts

Back