RecipeDB - Crispy Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daemon

Reaction score

Crispy Lager

Lager - American Lager
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

Mashed at 63C to keep it nice and crisp. I simply used standard long grain rice and boiled it before adding to the mash. It's more flavoursome than the ingredients suggest with a subtle amount of POR flavour.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4 kg BB Galaxy Pale Malt
0.1 kg Weyermann Carapils(Carafoam)
0.5 kg Rice Solids

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
22 g Pride of Ringwood (Pellet, 9.0AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

22 g DCL Yeast S-189 - SafLager German Lager
21L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.05 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.014 (calc)
  • Bitterness 24.1 IBU
  • Efficiency 70%
  • Alcohol 4.67%
  • Colour 6 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Secondary 10 days
  • Conditioning 5 days

Sampled this one- for a single 60 minute moderate addition it has a very surprising hop flavour component. Makes me wonder if all the p*ss- farting around with late and dry hops/ tea is really worth it! Not necessarily a strict lawnmower as chilling it right down might close up the flavour, but would have scope to be in the ballpark if that's what you were after.

Not far off a SMASH either, and one that gets my lager interest level up, particularly with that malt, that's what interests me.

I wonder how aromatics like basmati or jasmine would fare in this?! :eek:

And yes, the recipe is in fact complete!

Cheers Daemon, nice one!
(Ps. Not the Swiss yeast?)

I noticed in the recipe you are lagering fo 5 weeks. Sounds good, but just wondering how many batches you can lager at once and what you use to store during the lager? It is something I struggle with - cold storage.

Thanks Fear_n_Loath

RdeVjun: I bottled a few from the keg on the weekend for a bbq and chilled it right down. If I had used a noble german hop it'd actually be fairly close to many of the european lagers in taste, especially drinking it from the stubbie :) I had actually bought some jasmine rice to try in this but ended up using it for curries instead!

The S-189 is a swiss yeast (Hrlimann brewery in Switzerland to be precise), the RecipeDB seems to show it up as a german one for some reason.

Fear_n_Loath: This was brewed for a competition and I've only brewed 1 lager before this because I don't have the room to lager. I simply kegged it as normal and let it sit a spare fridge. It's drinkable after 2 weeks but has a cleaner flavour with a little bit more time.

Thanks Daemon, I should've checked the yeast- damned metadata! And I would face the same problem with the rice, the big 25kg bags look attractive as I wheel my trolley by...

Good point about lagering, one of the reasons I'm looking at hooking up three or maybe four fridges (one a bar fridge for yeast propagation) when I hit my straps with the controller. The other is the durations involved, I just struggle to stomach the equipment being tied up for so long. But whatever floats your boat I guess...

Gotta fly, there's a boil happening...

Looks like a good one there D.
Definity try the Jasmine rice and surprisingly that floral flavour/aroma will come thru in the background. I love it in a subtle lager just gives that touch of class. If your game try it next time?

Cheers

Chappo

nothing more enojyable than a beer with 70-75% Base/pils, 5% Carapils, remainder adjunct. Polenta is my favourite, closely followed by Viet Broken rice (whcih i assume is long/shortgrain broken). Lagers are tip top, ales are just as good if you require a beer knocked out in moments.. Im just obsessed with the colour you get from adding rice and polenta to Pils/Ale malt. Colour of dried straw... awesome

Definity try the Jasmine rice and surprisingly that floral flavour/aroma will come thru in the background. I love it in a subtle lager just gives that touch of class. If your game try it next time?

Cheers

Chappo
still yet to try my assuie style lager with rice, but i took chaps idea and used 50/50 jasmin and normal long grain for the complexity in aroma taste. hopefuly it works. i recon in something like this beer it would work well.

Hey just a silly question. Do you cook the rice or just bring it to the boil, before you add it to the mash.

Cheers

consensus seems to be to preboil and add to mash at start with a protein/intermediate temp rest

edit: also make the rice hot before you add to the tun. its a prick to heat in the tun. requires so much heat. so either cook it just before or if you cook the night before n(which is what id did), add some hot water in their to heat the rice back up. it doenst matter if the rice looks terrible and mushy as your brewing with it not eating it. I didnt heat mine up and it took forever to get everything up to temp.

Pre-cook/gelatinise it the night before if possible. In a nutshell rice has no diastatic/enzyme power to convert itself to simple sugars so you need the enzymes in the base malt to convert the rice starches to sugars that your yeasties can eat. You have to gelatinise the rice to give the enzymes access to the starches.

I hope that explains it?

Cheers

Chappo

I cook mine the night before in a rice cooker and add it staight to the tun the next day...

Looks a nice easy drinking beer Daemon

Rook

Yea that has cleared it up for me, Except i'm not quite at the stage of doing protein rests. But ill cook it up the night before and then and some hot water just before the mash to get it to 63degrees.

Sweet i might try this recipe. As I have just received another fridge so i can ferment at 10degrees. And then lager it for 5 weeks.

Cheers

I cook mine the night before in a rice cooker and add it staight to the tun the next day...
Looks a nice easy drinking beer Daemon
Rook

Thats what I do rook but i do mine with excess water so it cooks down alot then the next day i make a rice porridge/congee out of it and add to the tun @ Proteien rest. i wonder what i would be like trying todo pre gelatinise Polenta in the rice cooker.... looks like my next test!

pre gelatinise Polenta in the rice cooker.... looks like my next test!

Alright! Alright! 4star you've talked me into it I'm gunna have a crack at polenta this weekend ok, prolly your CAP! Just stop pushing me into it... :lol:

I reckon the 100% Jasmine rice would be a cracker in this IMO? Hmmmm wonder how it would go swapping out the POR for Galaxy? :icon_drool2: Soooo many good recipes sooo little time.

Cheers

Chappo

Alright! Alright! 4star you've talked me into it I'm gunna have a crack at polenta this weekend ok, prolly your CAP! Just stop pushing me into it... :lol:
I reckon the 100% Jasmine rice would be a cracker in this IMO? Hmmmm wonder how it would go swapping out the POR for Galaxy? :icon_drool2: Soooo many good recipes sooo little time.
Cheers
Chappo

I think CAPs are all about the Corn, i have made 1 with rice and corn, just wasnt as good.

POR? mine had Motoueka, Perle and Hallertau (Hallertau was just to empty the packet). My next 1 will be probabaly magnum for bittering, the rest Motoueka. Once it mellows after a decent lager and all yest floccs out, It makes a beauuudiiiiful beer.

Back