RecipeDB - Coopers Best Extra Stout Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoney

Reaction score

Coopers Best Extra Stout Clone

Stout - Foreign-Style Stout
Extract
* * * * * 1 Votes

Brewer's Notes

Very close to the original. Ive done a side by side test & could barely spot the difference. Needs minimum 4 weeks conditioning to balance the bitterness & sweetness. OG 1.070 FG 1020 6.4% ABV

Recipe has been converted from imperial, hence the weird measurements.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
0.34 kg TF Crystal
0.28 kg TF Roasted Barley
0.17 kg TF Chocolate Malt
3 kg Coopers LME - Light
0.6 kg Brown Sugar (dark)
0.35 kg Generic DME - Light

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
45 g Pearle (Pellet, 8.0AA%, 45mins)
14 g Styrian Goldings (Pellet, 5.4AA%, 15mins)

Yeast

12 g DCL Yeast S-04 - SafAle English Ale

Misc

1 g Irish Moss
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.065 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.017 (calc)
  • Bitterness 36.9 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 6.25%
  • Colour 78 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 12 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

Just tried my first bottle of this, Really Really ******* nice.

Will make again!

I need some help with this recipe. I would like to try it but I don't understand what is meant by: TF Crystal or TF anything. Any help would be much appreciated. I checked the list of acryonms and TF isn't in there.
Also what is the recommended volume to boil?

3 kg Coopers LME - Light
0.6 kg Brown Sugar (dark)
0.35 kg Generic DME - Light
0.34 kg TF Crystal
0.28 kg TF Roasted Barley
0.17 kg TF Chocolate Malt
45 g Pearle (Pellets, 8.2 AA%, 45 mins)
14 g Styrian Goldings (Pellets, 3.0 AA%, 15 mins)
12 g DCL Yeast S-04 - SafAle English Ale
1 g Irish Moss

TF= Thomas Fawcett malts
can't help with the boil volume.

Andrew

That would be your boiloff volume added to the final volume here: CoopersStoutCloneCapture.JPG

As with all recipes, use your brewing software with your efficiency set. Then add the ingredients from the recipe then use the software to adjust for the quoted OG and IBU according to the recipe. Recipes should be thought of as a list of ingredients in percentages, with an OG and Bitterness level. The OG and Bitterness achieved from the recipe on your system will depend upon your efficiency and volumes, so the recipe needs to be scaled (in total, maintaining the percentages) for your system to achieve the OG and Bitterness quoted in the recipe.

Hope this helps,

Screwy

I need some help with this recipe. I would like to try it but I don't understand what is meant by: TF Crystal or TF anything. Any help would be much appreciated. I checked the list of acryonms and TF isn't in there.

TF Crystal is just plain old Crystal malt.

As for the boil volume, for best hop utilization you want to have an OG of around 1.40.

So what I used to do was after ive finished steeping the grains, lift the grain bag out, pour one of the 1.5KG Coopers liquid malt extract tins into the pot, top up to about 10L of water and boil that. Then at the end of the boil, pour in the other tin of LME and the LDME, stir to dissolve, tip it into the fermenter, top up to 23L and away you go. :)

Latest posts

Back