RecipeDB - C-BOMB IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vortex

Reaction score

C-BOMB IPA

IPA - India Pale Ale
All Grain
* * * * * 1 Votes

Brewer's Notes

Recipe is under development, please feel free to brew it and offer suggestions!

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
6 kg TF Maris Otter Pale Malt
0.5 kg TF Pale Crystal
0.5 kg Weyermann Pale Wheat

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
50 g Chinook (Pellet, 13.0AA%, 60mins)
40 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 1mins)
40 g Centennial (Pellet, 10.0AA%, 1mins)
40 g Columbus (Tomahawk) (Pellet, 14.0AA%, 1mins)
30 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 5mins)
30 g Centennial (Pellet, 10.0AA%, 5mins)
30 g Columbus (Tomahawk) (Pellet, 14.0AA%, 5mins)

Yeast

1000 ml Wyeast Labs 1272 - American Ale II
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.07 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.018 (calc)
  • Bitterness 85 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 6.78%
  • Colour 17 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

Dry hop not listed in the recipe, dry hop as you see fit. Use C-Hops to keep with the theme of the recipe, don't let it get grassy!

Hopping schedule can change to suit your system, I use 5 mins and whirlpool additions on my system.

Columbus as a late hope addition, how does that go? I've found it pungent, even peppery, but that might just be me.

Certainly easily qualifies as an IPA with an IBU of 93.5 but over all seems like its a recipe you can't go wrong with. B)

How do you find the 1272 as I added it to my latest G&G order and haven't tried it before? I have always bi-passed it as I was always unsure about it's supposed more fruity flavours when compared to the 1056.

Thanks for the comments guys!

I have only just brewed this for the first time on Sunday - my first time with 1272 and first time with Columbus. I ended up dropping the columbus at flameout, as mentioned the aroma was very peppery and I didn't want this aroma in the finished beer. I knocked the flame outs back to 30g/30g as well. I decided on leaving the columbus in @ 10min because another brewer said it will give a resinous mouthfeel to the beer, which I personally like in an IPA, but if the flavour doesn't work I'll drop it next time.

I ended up using Med/Dark Crystal in it as I was all out of the light, and consequently it's turned into more of an American Brown. I'll continue to treat it like an IPA with dryhop etc, and next time I'll make sure I have the right crystal, either that or drop it totally.

Here's a pic of the first runnings:

Untitled by auvortex, on Flickr

I decided to try 1272 in this one when I was dreaming up the recipe to try and add a little more ester flavour to the beer, in the hope of complimenting the citrusy american hops. If it's fermented under controlled conditions at around 18c I don't see that the esters would be over the top at all - but of course a cleaner fermenting yeast like 1056 (or a dry equivalent) would certainly work - and I will try it myself in the future too. I would also like to try Pacman and some of the other Pommy yeasts too - but right now I'll concentrate on this iteration of the recipe :)

Yet to taste it, but I will take a gravity reading tomorrow night and have a taste then. With Oxygen and a big pitch of 1272 it's fermenting vigorously, I would say it will be close to terminal gravity tomorrow night, perhaps thursday night.

Yet to taste it,

So if the recipe is no good, will you delete it from the thread?

Not suggesting it won't be (good that is) but wondering why you've included it in a database if you don't know what it's like yet?

So if the recipe is no good, will you delete it from the thread?

Not suggesting it won't be (good that is) but wondering why you've included it in a database if you don't know what it's like yet?
No I won't delete it, i'll modify it as it's re-brewed. I'm sure it will be good, the only real changes I could see would be to possibly drop the columbus and perhaps the amount of chinook used for bittering. Not really worth deleting the whole recipe for a couple of minor changes.

I posted it to get feedback about the actual recipe itself; and if others want to brew it and offer suggestions and improvements then I will include them too. I work with open source software every day, and there are many parallells between that part of the IT industry and home-brewing (recipe sharing is a lot like source code sharing), so why not post it even before it's complete - if someone else sees it and brews it, and offers suggestions and improvements, then that's saved me having to brew it again and the recipe is then better for everyone.

There is a "What are you brewing" forum to disscuss recipes as there being developed and tweaked. Lots of feedback available there.
Hop it tastes nice.
2c

I've found chinook for bittering to be quite harsh in the past. If I were to brew this I would use Magnum instead, personally.

Must the the crop of Chinook. I've been using it as a mild bitterer - even used it in a Euro based beer. Found the Czech Saaz really got the aroma leg up, which is what I'm aiming for, so I was happy.

Mind you, mine is 9.7%.

I've found chinook for bittering to be quite harsh in the past. If I were to brew this I would use Magnum instead, personally.
While that will work, the idea of this recipe is to use only C-hops ;)

C is my favourite tasting letter.

No I won't delete it, i'll modify it as it's re-brewed. I'm sure it will be good, the only real changes I could see would be to possibly drop the columbus and perhaps the amount of chinook used for bittering. Not really worth deleting the whole recipe for a couple of minor changes.

I posted it to get feedback about the actual recipe itself; and if others want to brew it and offer suggestions and improvements then I will include them too. I work with open source software every day, and there are many parallells between that part of the IT industry and home-brewing (recipe sharing is a lot like source code sharing), so why not post it even before it's complete - if someone else sees it and brews it, and offers suggestions and improvements, then that's saved me having to brew it again and the recipe is then better for everyone.

I think more of the database like a recipe book (or its intended purpose as similar) so I think it's a better idea to fill it with tried and true recipes you would recommend to someone.

There are plenty of recipe critique thread started by people looking for feedback - I've made a few myself and there's usually lots of people happy to provide feedback.

I don't think the db needs to be limited to 'only beers that have won awards' or anything silly like that but it's nice to know that the person adding it can recommend it from personal experience.

People have different perspectives but I'm pretty sure the intended purpose of the db is as above.

Definitely post it before it's complete to get critique etc but there are better places on the forum for that. What are you brewing thread or simply start a thread or find the appropriate style in the style of the week threads.

As for chinook - I've used it for bittering OK. Just don't go too nuts too early. Nice pine character

Fair points. I'll do that in future. Thanks.

Just tasted the sample, it's good! Bitterness is not overpowering, it's a bit of a kick but not too harsh. Aroma is dulled as expected, but dry hopping in a few days will help. 1070 -> 1020 in 3 days :) Expecting another 5 or so points drop in gravity.

I'm ideologically a freetard, so I understand the open source analogy.

WAYB III is the open source dashboard, bug tested, sourceforge - that sort of things.

Recipedb is stable code.

Have had two pints of this tonight, first beer back after Dry July!
Any thoughts of the Chinook giving 'harsh' bitterness have been dissuaded - it's bloody magnificent!

Tastes just like a lot of the NorCal IPAs i've had - reminds me a LOT of Green Flash Palate Wrecker to be honest - with a little more thickness in the body and mouthfeel. The hop aroma needs work; but this is likely because it's been in a keg for a month!

I love it, and will definitely brew again :)

Bad pic (it's not that hazy, the light here is crap!)

IPA! by auvortex, on Flickr

I'm finding myself really quite liking Chinook more and more.

I find it a perfect foil to the fruitier American hops, its piney, resinous flavour an excellent contrast to the citra, cascade centennial hops. Its stops beer getting too fruit salady, but actually seems to provide more context for that fruitiness.

I can't wait to try it with galaxy.

I used it in my current APA, and it works fairly well.

Latest posts

Back