Recipe Sugestions For First Ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark_m

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've been putting off the step to AG as I can feel full-blown obsession coming on, but recently picked up a 2nd hand AG setup on ebay (40lkeg HLT, insulated 40l keg w/- false bottom mash tun, 60l keg boiler, 3 ring burner).
After several nights of trawling thru old threads, reading & re-reading relevant sections of "how to brew", it's time to make the leap into the unknown.
Planning an ale of some description anything from an APA to a Porter, will get Grain & Grape to crack the grains for me, prefer to use hops I have on hand (NZ Hallertau aroma, NZ Saaz, Cascade, Fuggles, EKG, Amarillo), one or more. Will use a Saf dried yeast, either SO4 or US56.
Any suggestions for a recipe that is robust (i.e. hard for a first-timer to cock up) & tasty?
Cheers
Mark

First of all get Promash or beersmith to help with your recipe formulations. That is if you haven't go tit already!

Why not brew a simple ESB?

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 20.00 Wort Size (L): 20.00
Total Grain (kg): 4.30
Anticipated OG: 1.049 Plato: 12.26
Anticipated EBC: 31.3
Anticipated IBU: 40.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
93.0 4.00 kg. TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt UK 1.037 6
4.7 0.20 kg. TF Crystal UK 1.034 145
2.3 0.10 kg. TF Chocolate Malt UK 1.033 940

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
30.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.20 25.6 60 min.
30.00 g. Fuggle Pellet 5.70 14.3 30 min.

Yeast
-----
SO4

Mash at 66 or 67*C for an hour

whatever you do, make it big and malty/hoppy, so if you fu<kup, it's not going to be a big deal balance wise.

I'm gearing up for my first AG and I'm facing the same decision as you, Mark.

I've just finished reading an article on byo.com on the ten easiest styles. I probably should have included a link, but it should be easy to find.

The common thread in all styles is that you can pass off a stuff-up as 'character', so no lagers.

I'm leaning towards a porter or IPA.

Cheers,

Rob

Hmmm

Using what you've got go for something like for an APA recipe

3.5kg Pale Malt (JW Trad ale or Maris Otter)
1kg Munich or Vienna malt
250g Light Crystal

Mash at 66C for 1 hour, then sparge

Use B Saaz/Amarillo for bittering to about 15IBU
Then 15IBU's worth of B Saaz/Amarillo/Cascade at 20m
Then 5IBU's worth of B Saaz/Amarillo/Cascade at 5m
Then about 30g of B Saaz/Amarillo/Cascade at 0m

Use irish moss or whirlfloc at 10m

Ferment at 16-18C with US05/WY1056/WLP001 or WY1272/WLP051

:super:

Read your notes Cortez (quite informative from a comparitive perspective!).

I have a problem with agitating the grains when I'm sparging. Does anyone know why agitation of the grain bed is a problem, especially when it's the top of the grain bed (i.e. most of the grain bed underneath stays still)?

I usually have an inch or so of sparge water above the top of the grain bed so I'm not really sure why agitation is a problem.

Ben

If you are batch sparging, stirring after you add the mash out water (if you do) and after you add the sparge water will increase your efficiency. If you are fly sparging, you should not do this.

BTW Cortez, there is really no need to wait after adding the water before running off the wort. You are not converting anything at this stage, just extracting sugars.

Sorry, should have explained - I fly sparge.

Hi guys,
I've been putting off the step to AG as I can feel full-blown obsession coming on, but recently picked up a 2nd hand AG setup on ebay (40lkeg HLT, insulated 40l keg w/- false bottom mash tun, 60l keg boiler, 3 ring burner).
After several nights of trawling thru old threads, reading & re-reading relevant sections of "how to brew", it's time to make the leap into the unknown.
Planning an ale of some description anything from an APA to a Porter, will get Grain & Grape to crack the grains for me, prefer to use hops I have on hand (NZ Hallertau aroma, NZ Saaz, Cascade, Fuggles, EKG, Amarillo), one or more. Will use a Saf dried yeast, either SO4 or US56.
Any suggestions for a recipe that is robust (i.e. hard for a first-timer to cock up) & tasty?
Cheers
Mark

Mark

A special bitter around 1.040-1.045 is always hard to beat and dead simple to make. 95% Ale Malt, 5% crystal and around 30-35 IBUs with a good hit of the hops late (Fuggles and Goldings).
Ferment it with the S04 and all will be well in the world. B)

Warren -

BTW Cortez, there is really no need to wait after adding the water before running off the wort. You are not converting anything at this stage, just extracting sugars.

Cool

I have sped up my techinique now

The only reason i do wait is for the grain to settle so i don't get a stuck sparge

Managed this once

Cheers

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Have run with a G & G recommended recipe for an IPA (went to their AG demo day today). Will probably brew tomorrow.
Will post results down the track.
Cheers
Mark

Don't forget to take pics and post them here Mark!

Good luck.

............went to their AG demo day today). Will probably brew tomorrow.
Will post results down the track.
Cheers
Mark

I was there too Mark. Certainly a great way to get into brewing. Riggers really knows his stuff - and seeing how it all works answers plenty of questions.

Good luck with the preparation

Good luck Mark. I am brewing tomorrow too. Just finished cracking my grain and filtering my water. Plan to make an APA. You certainly can't go wrong with a pale ale.

My AG cherry has been popped!
Approx 45l sitting in 2 x no chill cubes, ran with an IPA recipe but couldn't help myself & used 50% fuggles, 50% cascade for flavour / aroma, may not be true to style but looking forward to sampling.
5 hours from start to finish for 1st double batch doesn't seem too bad.
I can feel the dark side calling!
Cheers
Mark

Back