Recipe help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDudeAbides

Reaction score
Okay, so I know that I could pop this thread in the main forum and let everyone have a crack, but I thought I would put this to my Merri brothers and sisters in brew as you're all a fine bunch of sods. Plus, getting to follow all this up face to face is a big plus.

If you've the time, I would love people's thoughts on a recipe I've concocted through Beersmith. A buddy of mine has just had a kid (although his wife did all the heavy lifting) and I want to brew him a special beer to mark the occasion. He's Kiwi, she's Aussie, so I've selected the hops accordingly. The first addition of DME is to get the boil gravity to 1.040.

My big question is, would this taste any good?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Recipe: Simmo's Celebratory Pale Ale
Brewer: Sam
Style: Australian Pale Ale
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.99 l
Post Boil Volume: 5.46 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 l
Bottling Volume: 19.50 l
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 11.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 38.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.65 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 1 21.7 %
10.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 2 15.9 IBUs
10.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 3 9.2 IBUs
20.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 4 13.4 IBUs
0.35 kg Light Dry Extract [Boil for 5 min] Dry Extract 5 11.7 %
0.25 kg Dark Dry Extract [Boil for 5 min] Dry Extract 6 8.3 %
1.50 kg Thomas Coopers Light Malt Extract Extract 7 50.0 %
0.25 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 EBC) Sugar 8 8.3 %

I would think you'd want to throw in some late nelson if you wish to taste or smell that particular hop. When you boil hops for 60 minutes you lose all of the desirable aroma and flavour but get all of that nice bitterness instead.

Personally id not boil galaxy for 15 minutes as I understand it to have a harsh bitterness. (However bridge rd made a fine single hop galaxy IPA which obviously would have boiled galaxy for a while)

Personally I'd stick with your plan of bittering with nelson

Then a 10 minute addition of both and then a whirlpool addition of both.
Not sure about quantities but aim for your ibu of 35. That will be good for a pale ale.

As far as the malt bill goes I'm in no place to offer advice and I'd also take my hop advice lightly but certainly believe me that if you want to taste or smell the nelson you have to use it late, too.

Thanks for that advice. I'll look at doing a late addition of the Nelson.

One quick question regarding whirlpooling:

Is it a method applicable to extract brewers doing a small boil (6L)?
Also, would steeping the hops after boil have a similar effect?

Cheers.

The idea of whirlpool hops is just to get some extraction of the oils without boiling away any flavour or aroma. You put them in when the boil has stopped and they sits there for about as long as it takes you to get your shite together for the transfer.

Some people like to get the wort down to about 80 degrees and steep at that temp for a bit longer. (This wouldn't be restricted by the way you are partially boiling extract wort)

I can't say I've done the 80 degree steep experimentations myself but it seems like it would work.

Don't be afraid of doing anything just because it's an extract recipe. Adding fresh ingredients like hops and specialty grains will make your beer taste... Fresher.

Latest posts

Back