Recipe Feedback Please - Strong Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatKiwiFella

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first attempt at putting together my own recipe. Most of the beers I like already have cracker recipes in the database so I haven't bothered trying to change what isn't broke.

This is for a Strong Ale - think Coopers Vintage in a way, but with some twists to hopefully appeal to my pallet.

I would really like some feedback on what you think of the recipe as a whole, the hop choice and schedule and perhaps what the finished product may be like - not much to ask I know :)

I use Beer Alchemy at home as am on a mac and and this is what it has thrown out:

Selected Style and BJCP Guidelines
19A-Strong Ale-Old Ale

Minimum OG: 1.060 SG Maximum OG: 1.090 SG
Minimum FG: 1.015 SG Maximum FG: 1.022 SG
Minimum IBU: 30 IBU Maximum IBU: 60 IBU
Minimum Color: 19.7 EBC Maximum Color: 43.3 EBC

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 12.00 l Wort Volume After Boil: 10.00 l
Volume Transferred: 10.00 l Water Added To Fermenter: 12.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 22.00 l Volume Of Finished Beer: 22.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.138 SG Expected OG: 1.075 SG
Expected FG: 1.017 SG Apparent Attenuation: 76.5 %
Expected ABV: 7.8 % Expected ABW: 6.1 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 30.7 IBU Expected Color (using Morey): 34.2 EBC
BU:GU ratio: 0.41 Approx Color:
Mash Efficiency: 65.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 18 degC

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
Australian Traditional Ale Malt 6.600 kg 78.6 % 8.5 In Mash/Steeped
UK Medium Crystal 1.000 kg 11.9 % 22.8 In Mash/Steeped
Australian Caramalt 0.400 kg 4.8 % 4.2 In Mash/Steeped
Australian Wheat Malt 0.400 kg 4.8 % 0.3 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
NZ Nelson Sauvin 12.5 % 15 g 9.8 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min From End
Australian Pride Of Ringwood 9.0 % 15 g 7.1 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min From End
NZ Nelson Sauvin 12.5 % 15 g 7.6 Loose Pellet Hops 30 Min From End
German Hallertauer Hersbrucker 3.5 % 15 g 1.4 Loose Pellet Hops 15 Min From End
NZ Nelson Sauvin 12.5 % 15 g 4.9 Loose Pellet Hops 15 Min From End
Australian Pride Of Ringwood 9.0 % 10 g 0.0 Loose Pellet Hops Dry-Hopped

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When

Yeast
Coopers-Ale Yeast

Water Profile
Target Profile: No Water Profile Chosen
Mash pH: 5.2
pH Adjusted with: Unadjusted

Total Calcium (ppm): 24 Total Magnesium (ppm): 15
Total Sodium (ppm): 72 Total Sulfate (ppm): 50
Total Chloride(ppm): 125 Total Bicarbonate (ppm): 65

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name: Single Step Infusion (66C/151F) w/Mash Out

Step Type Temperature Duration
Rest at 66 degC 60
Raise by infusion to 77 degC 10

Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance. If this appears ok then I am hoping to thrown it down this weekend. Also, if there is another yeast that is better and/or quicker in doing its work please let me know. I am hoping for a quick turn-around on this one, and if it's good I hope to do another and store it away for a while.

:icon_cheers:
TKF

I'd prefer a UK ale yeast, but if you like coopers yeast, then use it by all means. Lots of crystal there, i'd presonally add some dark malt to a) give some yummy flavour, and b.) keep a "lid" on the sweetness of that much crystal. But that's me.

What method will you be using? Also, quick turn-around might not be a goer for a strong beer - the accepted wisdom is that the bigger the beer, the bigger the benefit of aging... and aging tends to dull late hops, making them somewhat of a waste of money.

30 IBu for an OG of 1.075 is a out of whack (unless its belgian and full of simple sugars)

Add to that 15% crystal and you are looking at a cloying beer.

My 2 c.

Drop the english crystal.

Up the IBU to 50, more if you want to age this beer.

I'm still only at the k&k / extract stage, however from what I've read as I'm preparing to jump into AG is that a grain bill of 8.4kg is awfully large for a boil volume of only 12 litres.

Happy to be corrected by those with actual experience in this field though :huh:

I often play around with strong ales - cause I like the alc heat ... seems a big grain bill for the amount of beer .. but heck give it a crack .. I personally would drop a bit of Golden syrup (850gm) in and increase size to at least a 20l expecation or maybe a 24lt ?? but heck again .. just me ..

Good luck ... keep us posted on how it turns out ...

My first beer was a English ale .. followed by a White rabbit dark ale (clone) ... then a Viet street beer ( 1 lagered , 1 ale) .. experiment .. have fun ..

Thanks all! Greatly appreciated.

I am going to make the following changes:

- Add some dark malt for balance.
- The wort volume pre-boil should be reading 18L, not 10L - my bad, sorry.
- Am going to reduce the UK crystal a fair bit.
- Use a UK ale yeast (as I'm neither here nor there with coopers and happy to try something new)
- Up the IBU to 60 - bitter is all good in my books
- finally, this won't be a quick turn around - I'll brew something simple (a pale ale or the like) for that. I was just hopeful it would be possible...

Thank you again and I will certainly report back with how it all goes!

:beer:

TKF

I'm still only at the k&k / extract stage, however from what I've read as I'm preparing to jump into AG is that a grain bill of 8.4kg is awfully large for a boil volume of only 12 litres.

Happy to be corrected by those with actual experience in this field though :huh: Have had some really nice "high grav " boils watered down at crash cool.- My opinion is this a technique to use after full boil mashes have been played with. Can revert to kit twang if not enough experiance.My2c only.

Latest posts

Back