Recipe feedback NEipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourlambs

Reaction score
i am expecting this to be a little dark in colour but am ok with this, and only adding a little magnum to drive up ibu.

Type: All Grain

Total Water: 23 L
Fermentable’s (5.58 kg)
3.04 kg - Pale Ale Malt 2-Row 7.9 EBC (54.5%)
1.22 kg - Amber Malt 41 EBC (21.9%)
710 g - Rolled Oats 2.7 EBC (12.7%)
510 g - Dextrose 2 EBC (9.1%)
100 g - Maltodextrin 5.9 EBC (1.8%)

Hops (408 g)
60 min - 8 g - Magnum - 12% (12 IBU)
60 min - 5 g - Citra - 12% (8 IBU)
60 min - 5 g - Citra - 12% (8 IBU)
Hop Stand
20 min hopstand @ 80 °C
20 min - 20 g - Citra - 12% (4 IBU)
20 min - 20 g - Mosaic - 12.25% (4 IBU)
Dry Hops
5 days - 175 g - Citra - 12%
5 days - 175 g - Mosaic - 12.25%

Yeast
2 pkg - Lallemand (LalBrew) American West Coa...

20 °C - 14 days - Primary
20 °C - 5 days - Dry hop

Attachments

• B0784CF8-34F5-4645-AA18-A65B075FC9CD.png
    B0784CF8-34F5-4645-AA18-A65B075FC9CD.png
    326.3 KB · Views: 14
Can’t be a real NEIPA, the mass of hops doesn't equal or exceed the mass of malt :)

Seriously I think its a bit light on for hops for the style. Easy enough to make it a bit paler, just winde back the Amber malt, something like 5% Caramalt would give a nice hue and leave a little toffy sweetness (I would grab a UK Caramalt).
Mark

Last edited:
I’m wondering why you’re using both Magnum and Citra at 60 min?

If Magnum is cheaper/more available, I’d use all Magnum.

If no difference, I’d use all Citra... actually, tbh, I’d use a total of 25g Citra later in the boil (for the same ibus) to round it up to an even 200g. No brewing reason, I just like even numbers

Can’t be a real NEIPA, the mass of hops doesn't equal or exceed the mass of malt :)

Seriously I think its a bit light on for hops for the style. Easy enough to make it a bit paler, just winde back the Amber malt, something like 5% Caramalt would give a nice hue and leave a little toffy sweetness (I would grab a UK Caramalt).
Mark

Most NEIPA recipes that I've seen have total hop additions at about the same rates as in this recipe, but more are in the hop stands and often none in the boil. One good discussion is at Unlock the Secrets of New England–Style IPAs

I'm wary of generalizations that fail to take into account variation in hop oil content. For example, I've used Sabro in NEIPAa, but more than very small additions tend to mask juiciness.

What made you arrive at 15 g/L for the dry hop?

Are you familiar with the Dr Shellhammer work with the 8 g/L "sweet spot" for dry hopping? Notably, he found that oils responsible for citrus-type flavours saturated earlier (closer to 4 g/L) with tea and herbal flavours at a higher rate. This may mean that an effort to throw in more hops not only wastes money and reduces yield, but gives you more of a flavour you weren't wanting. No one idolises Citra for it's "tea-like" qualities. Note: the study was based on Cascade, so there will be some variation with different varieties.

@yankinoz's link above cites 3.7-9.8 g/L average rates for dry-hopping.

IMO, the most important thing for this style is minimising cold-side oxidation. This means closed or no transfers. Only takes a bit of O2 and a few days to completely mute all the hop goodness, long before your beer tastes like cardboard.

Thanks for all the feedback, I am a novice after all 🤣. Made a few adjustments and these are shown below…..should I brew now 😜?

Attachments

• 13AB9446-8F39-45E0-842F-A43174EE4A6D.jpeg
    13AB9446-8F39-45E0-842F-A43174EE4A6D.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 24
  • 4E2C5E8E-D478-4C89-A955-753A2248492D.png
    4E2C5E8E-D478-4C89-A955-753A2248492D.png
    329.7 KB · Views: 29
IMO, the most important thing for this style is minimising cold-side oxidation. This means closed or no transfers. Only takes a bit of O2 and a few days to completely mute all the hop goodness, long before your beer tastes like cardboard.
[/QUOTE]

Good point, thanks. As for Citra and my personal tastes, I always limit it to 0 g/L. For me NEIPAS are about Mosaic, Hallertau Blanc and Galaxy.

Personally I would do a 30 min boil with no hop additions, don’t add any whirlfloc or finings. Then do a big hop stand 100-150g. I would also use lalbrew “New England” instead of west coast. You can add some hops for bio transformation but not every hop is created equal for this. Then you can get away with only 150g dry hop as most of the “juiceness” has come from the hop stand.

Do a full 60m boil. Add whirlfoc as it helps stabilise the beer and if you rely on no whirlfloc to get hazy beer it's not a good NEIPA.

Ditch the caramel notes if possible, I go all MO with about 10% Rolled Oats (uncle toby) and 10% Malted Oats.

Magnum for some IBUs

150g stand
150g dry hop single at high krausen

London Ale III yeast not a West Coast yeast.

Do a full 60m boil. Add whirlfoc as it helps stabilise the beer and if you rely on no whirlfloc to get hazy beer it's not a good NEIPA.

Ditch the caramel notes if possible, I go all MO with about 10% Rolled Oats (uncle toby) and 10% Malted Oats.

Magnum for some IBUs

150g stand
150g dry hop single at high krausen

London Ale III yeast not a West Coast yeast.

There hasn’t been any tests done on the impact of protein and polyphenol reactions in regards to finings agents. So it is a personal preference not to bother.

Latest posts

Back