recipe critique/thoughts Marzen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droid

somewhere on the slippery slope with a beer in han
Reaction score
Title: Life on Marzen

Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 5.82%

4 kg - Vienna (44.4%)
4 kg - Munich Dark (44.4%)
1 kg - Pilsner (11.1%)

HOPS:
30 g - mt hood Boil for 60 min, IBU: 9.08
30 g - mt hood Boil for 45 min, IBU: 8.33
20 g - Saaz, Boil for 30 min, IBU: 3.54
20 g - Saaz, Boil for 15 min, IBU: 2.28

strike/rest 52 C 20 min
Decoction 64 C 40 min
Decoction 72 C 40 min
Sparge 78 C 20 min

Wyeast - Bavarian Lager 2206 Starter

Fermentation Temp: 8 C

Rainwater +

things i'm not sure about are:
the grains are Gladfield - they don't offer a dark or light Munich it's just Munich
should i have some Tettnanger in there early and alter the later hops? i don't have Tett' on hand but have to build a starter so could get it if really important
i want to bring the malty-ness out by doing a double decoction but unsure about times
was going to gets me some rainwater but have never brewed with it, i did get some salts

appreciate any tips for my first marzen!

I think you should ditch the vienna and replace with pilsner malt. The munich and double decoction should give enough melanoidens. I would add some medium crystal to 4-5% as I think it works well in an oktoberfest and helps differentiate from a Vienna. Not sure about the Mt Hood, never used it, but I typically use magnum for bittering in european styles.

thanks Grant, i do have crystal, pilsner malt and magnum - happy days! would you split it <edit ~malt 50/50 still? minus the 5% crystal so 47.5% 47.5% 5%

what do you think about the mashing times?

I would keep the munich to about 40%, 55% pils, 5% crystal. I would follow a mash schedule that leaves a little more body, so for me that would be 57C/5', 63C/10', 68C/50', 72C/20' and then mash out. Triple decoction? You may be able to just skip the 63C and up the time at 68C if that is getting to much.

that's awesome stuff Grant and just what i needed mate cheers!

Grant do you think i need to up the IBU if i go for more body and considering the 5% crystal as well? I'm around 24ibu's which is the high end of the ibu range for a marzen?? i like the sound of low bittering with a rich malty profile without the cloying/sweetness

yep, righto I'll let that info absorb
Mate I still have a bottle of hefe to get to ya but I must say unless I pimp the bejeesus out of the next keg with something, it's a bit meh
I don't think I mashed it at the high end for long enough

You're always welcome to come over when I am brewing if that would help. I have been changing a few things when making my hefe and most aren't for the better (the combination of under pitching and under oxygenation is not for the good). Tricky little feckers.

thans mate there may well be a pm for you coming in to summer bout a brew day

droid said:

4 kg - Vienna (44.4%)
1 kg - Pilsner (11.1%)

HOPS:

strike/rest 52 C 20 min
Decoction 64 C 40 min
Decoction 72 C 40 min
Sparge 78 C 20 min

Fermentation Temp: 8 C

Rainwater +

things i'm not sure about are:
the grains are Gladfield - they don't offer a dark or light Munich it's just Munich
should i have some Tettnanger in there early and alter the later hops? i don't have Tett' on hand but have to build a starter so could get it if really important
i want to bring the malty-ness out by doing a double decoction but unsure about times
was going to gets me some rainwater but have never brewed with it, i did get some salts

appreciate any tips for my first marzen!
I have had a couple of cracks at a Marzen with 50% Pilsner and 50% Munich II (I think I may have nicked this grain bill from AHB member the drunk arab).
I kind of like the idea of using german hops given the origin of the style. Generally I have used Hallertau Mittelfruh.
Most recent version was hal mitt @ 30 mins for 20 IBU and at whirlpool for another 10IBU (using no chill settings on brewmate for this one).
I have always used Wy2206 and like this yeast for this style. Generally I ferment it low (8-10 degrees) with a large starter, and do a diacetyl rest as recommended by wyeast. Interestingly enough, the version of this I did which my mates loved and smashed the most had some diacetyl which I though was shit but they loved!
I have never bothered with a decoction with this grain bill and it is plenty malty enough with the pils/munich II.
I know at 30IBUs it is pushing things for the style but it sits well with this malt and yeast combo.

I think if you are considering a decoction then gladfield munich would be fine, otherwise I would seek Munich II.
I agree with black n tan's mash schedule, but personally would avoid crystal.

Adam.

Oh, and I have done a couple of versions with only 60 or 30 min hop additions but definitely prefer some late hops, particularly with no chill.

thanks mate, it's all going in and i'll let it rattle around for a few days and see what comes of it

cheers for replying :beer:

Black n Tan said:
I'd push it towards 28IBU.
Agree with this, I under bittered mine and it just ended up too sweet without enough balance.

For mashing I would go on the slightly dry side and if you are using crystal that should take care of any body issues.

droid said:
Grant do you think i need to up the IBU if i go for more body and considering the 5% crystal as well? I'm around 24ibu's which is the high end of the ibu range for a marzen?? i like the sound of low bittering with a rich malty profile without the cloying/sweetness
Jonny after some more thought I think the main rest should be at 67C rather than 68C. 68C seems to work on my system but the schedule I originally proposed is what we used at bandicoot and on their system left a little more body than I intended. So it may be a safer bet to go with 67C.

cheers Grant, the edges are blurred when it comes to my mash system temps and i think i'll have to make a judgement call on the temp based around the crystal ~ if i go with 5% crystal i will try my best to hit 67. in reality the numbers will probably float between 66 and 68, however if i drop the crystal i would be thinking of staying higher yes? that part of the recipe/malt bill is still rattling around...there's no guarantee on when it'll pop out - hehe

thanks mate, just waiting on my new heated stir-plate, which is gonna be soo cool, i can't wait to get this part of the process nailed down

and i'm really looking forward to a malt driven lager - good times!

droid said:

4 kg - Vienna (44.4%)
1 kg - Pilsner (11.1%)

HOPS:

strike/rest 52 C 20 min
Decoction 64 C 40 min
Decoction 72 C 40 min
Sparge 78 C 20 min

Hey droid, how did this turn out?
What grist did you end up going with; and was it nice & super-malty, or just a more-malty lager?

I'm starting a series of S-189 lagers soon and are looking at trying a Marzen as the 3rd batch. The other 2 will be a slightly more malty version of Boags Premium (hopefully) as the "starter" then a Dark/Schwartz version of a Kirin clone (hopefully).
So i'm keen to do a super malty lager at ~5.5% alc, which apparently is a Marzen.
One of the decisions is what to pair ~60% Munich with: 30% of either Vienna or Pilsner? Inclined to use Vienna after (mountains) of reading and recipe googling. Hence the query as to which you went with & how did it turn out? ;)

Latest posts

Back