Recipe advice: Raspberry Wheat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megabyte

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just picked up 2kg of frozen ALDI raspberries and plan to brew a raspberry wheat with ingredients I have on hand. My goal is to showcase the raspberries while remaining light and refreshing for friends and family.

I'm thinking:

-2.2KG Maris Otter or Pilsner (mash at 65˚C)
-2.2KG White Wheat (mash at 65˚C)
-22g Willamette @ 60min
-US-05 @ 17˚C
-Rack onto 2kg frozen raspberries as fermentation slows.

O.G: 1.045
IBUs: 15.4
Est ABV: 4.8%

Questions:
1. Pils or Maris Otter?
2. Is 50% wheat going to steal the show from the raspberries?
3. Other tips?

sounds good :)

all just in my personal experience and may not apply to you, these are things I have done, am doing;

• pils and wheat 60/40
  • allow for lower efficiency with wheat
  • use rice hulls
  • freeze fruit, thaw, repeat to break down cell walls
  • warmer ferment temp ~ 20C
  • sometimes oats for a smoother mouth feel
cheers

What yeast you use will largely determine the perceived 'wheat' taste and consequently the raspberries ability to showcase themselves

droid said:
  • pils and wheat 60/40
  • allow for lower efficiency with wheat
  • use rice hulls
  • freeze fruit, thaw, repeat to break down cell walls
  • warmer ferment temp ~ 20C
  • sometimes oats for a smoother mouth feel
Great tips thanks! Lots of ideas here I haven't read before while researching for the recipe. I'll try the thawing/freezing idea and I might bump up my fermentation temp a little.

citizensnips said:
What yeast you use will largely determine the perceived 'wheat' taste and consequently the raspberries ability to showcase themselves
Thanks, I hope the US-05 is neutral enough to allow the raspberries to shine.

If this is your first fruit beer? Another tip is to remember to account for the pulp, which can be a right PITA on bottling/kegging day. Might consider racking again and cold crashing beforehand.

As with 'most' fruit beers, the distintive aroma and flavour of that fruit won't keep for long, so plan that within 1-2 months of serving where it reaches it peak, a bit like hoppy beers.

With 2kg of fruit you will certainly be showcasing the raspberries. I recently used 1kg in a Raspberry Blonde and the fruit flavour came through very strong, but tart. Will be interesting to know just how much more colour and flavour 2kg will add - mine was a very dark pink colour.

Coodgee said:
Do a protein rest at 50 degrees for 15 minutes and you won't need rice hulls.
Would you do this prior to the regular mash temp above 60? Or does rest mean after mash?

Prior to regular mash. So 50 degrees for 15 minutes and then raise the mash temp up for the conversion step at 65 for example

Latest posts

Back