Kiwi ESB mini-mash recipe - help wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menoetes

Reaction score
Hey Brewheads.

It's my first shot at an ESB and I just wanted to run my recipe by some more seasoned heads. It is as follows;

Kiwi ESB - mini-mash recipe.

25lt Batch
Est OG: 1.052
Est FG: 1.013
Est IBU: 35.5
Est ABV: 5.1%
Est ECB: 16.8

1.2kg of Maris Otter Malt
0.5kg of Flaked Wheat
0.3kg of Crystal 60L
3kg of Briess Golden Light Liquid Malt Extract
30g of Riwaka (5.2%AA) @ 60min
30g of Riwaka (5.2%AA) @ 25min
30g of Riwaka (5.2%AA) @ 15min
Wyeast 1318 London III yeast

Mashing grains at 68'c for an hour in 6 litres of water and sparging with 2 litres @ 75'c to get 8 litres of wort for the boil.

I had considered using flaked maize (as in a Fullers ESB clone) instead of wheat but went with wheat out of habit.

I'm more concerned about the hop schedule. I wanted that Riwaka flavor in it but don't want to completely ignore the traditional flavor profile of the chosen style.

I'd appreciate any help more experienced ESB brewers could offer. Cheers.

- Meno

I doubt you'll get close to a traditional ESB with the hop flavour but that's kind of the fun. When I was back in the UK fleetingly a few months back it was obvious that loads of the brewers there are experimenting with new world hops but with english malt profiles and english yeasts. Damn tasty brews too generally

Reckon your brew will be tasty and get close to an ESB in many respects, just not quite traditional

Thanks Blind Dog,

Yeah I understand that Riwaka hops aren't a traditional hop choice for an ESB but I wanted to try them in this style after making a real nice Aussie Pale with them a while back. I think I have managed to make it fit into the style guidelines in everything but the hops (as far as I can tell).

Love those Kiwi hops :)

Latest posts

Back