Really malty pale ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allan Adamson

Reaction score
so I just put down a brew which is kinda a toucan I guess
1 can coopers pale ale
1 bag of mountain goat pale ale
Roughly 8/850grams what I had left over of ldme
I boiled 3 litres of water added all the above and 15g Amarillo pellets and let sit for 20min before adding it to my fermenter and topped it to 23l stirred and let sit for 10min checked og 1054 which is over 6%abv
Just wondering what anyone thinks about it and if I should adjust anything before I pitch the yeast sa05. A dry hop late in ferment maybe I have a few 15g packs of cascade and galaxy I can use in it hopefully it turns out ok ‍♂️

G'day Allan - That sounds on point if perhaps a touch bitter depending on the IBU's on each kit - I'm not sure what bag of mountain goat pale ale is, a kit? (I know of the beer, just hadn't heard of a kit being created)
Adding the Amarillo late will give it a good finish. The best thing to do would be to give it a taste/smell before dry hopping and see if needs it - but sure it'll be fine either way.

G'day Allan - That sounds on point if perhaps a touch bitter depending on the IBU's on each kit - I'm not sure what bag of mountain goat pale ale is, a kit? (I know of the beer, just hadn't heard of a kit being created)
Adding the Amarillo late will give it a good finish. The best thing to do would be to give it a taste/smell before dry hopping and see if needs it - but sure it'll be fine either way.
So it’s lucky goat from mangrove jacks not mountain goat but it’s been 2 weeks in the fermenter today and the sg 1020 is this normal for a brew like this or should I put it on a heat pad it’s sitting at around 20 degrees Celsius and no sign of fermentation visible

An FG of 1020 is slightly high but wouldn't be impossible with the fermentables you've mentioned (Coopers Kit, Mangrove Kit + 850g LDME).
Most yeasts work around 18-20 degrees, so the best thing to do would be to give things a shake and leave it around that for 3 days to see if the gravity changes.

An FG of 1020 is slightly high but wouldn't be impossible with the fermentables you've mentioned (Coopers Kit, Mangrove Kit + 850g LDME).
Most yeasts work around 18-20 degrees, so the best thing to do would be to give things a shake and leave it around that for 3 days to see if the gravity changes.
So is it safe to bottle at a fg of 1020 it’s been at that for 3-4 days now I don’t want to bottle it if it’s not right I’d rather dump it and go again with a fwk I have waiting to go in

Latest posts

Back