Re-using Hops...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll stand by what I said.

Fortunately I discovered Coopers when I was about 17, since then I doubt I have finished a bottle/glass of anything made by the majors (except the "craft" branches Malt Shovel, Matilda Bay...)
Had to stay in the delightful little town of Cobram once, they had three pubs, the locals in that very Australian way called them the Top, Middle and the Bottom Pub, they had nothing and I do mean Zip other than Carlton on tap and VB in Bottles.
Spent a very enjoyable evening in a little Italian place, eating Pizza and drinking grandpa's Chianti with some eye popping grappa coffee for afters come crunch time I would have drunk water before what the pubs had on offer.

I suppose the difference between you and me is that I like good beer I certainly don't aspire to making something that tastes like an Aussie Lager.
I could go on and answer your riveting questions on the use of ISO (yes I have used it but don't because I don't like the way it tastes) but there's not much point if you're going to ignore me now is there.

Nick your posts fall into a pattern
1/ make an outrageous claim
2/ claim what your saying has some supporting evidence (never seen any)
3/ start with the personal abuse

Me thinks I smell troll
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. Wiki - Internet Troll
Here you go bonus new avatarView attachment 39020

4/ Take a cheap shot because I'm a retailer

Oh and I used the Craft Brewer 90g price for POR (I'm not having a shot at Ross, I charge the same) and the 100 mL ISO RRP from Brewcraft, naturally ISO is even cheaper in Litres and hops are cheaper by the Kg but I couldn't be bothered redoing the numbers.

MHB

Nick

Isohop doesn't have a shelf life of only months after its opened, more like a year+.

You add it post filter.

And at the site sponsors at the top of the page - the range for 100g of POR is $7-10 and a bit, so therefore a hell of a lot of homebrewers must be as stupid or nearly as stupid as you think Mark's customers are.

I'm sure you will be happier with Mark on ignore - his responses to your posts are often both hostile and inconveniently correct

Care to name a few Bribie? With all the spent wort in the hops they'd need to be reboiling allmost straight away & getting the quantities right could be a bit of a pita.
I'm not saying that breweries don't do this, but is it really the norm? I've personally never seen them reused.

Cheers Ross

Just regurgitating something I read via Randy Mosher, can't quote chapter and verse as I've given the book back to Tidal Pete. Possibly he was just referring to the post 70s American Craft Breweries, as UK breweries hop backs are usually quite different and are actually filtering backs for the wort as opposed to a sealed cylinder of hoppy goodness designed to actually add aroma to the wort as it's forced through them (Timmy Taylors an exception I believe). I was referring to the sealed cylinder type of hop back. The spent hops from the UK ones would not be recycled I'm sure.. used to buy truckloads of them for our allotment gardens in the UK.

Doesn't sound like you've used isohop before. For a start, as soon as it's opened it's got a shelf life of a couple of months at best. FAIL #1.

I just bought a kg of PoR hops for $26 - at $10 for 100g ... yes, that's expensive - but only your costomers would be that stupid, surely. You're still in business. FAIL #2.

When do you add isohop? Pre filter ... why? You answer that fancypants - you're the smartarse here. FAIL #3.

Pull ya head in mate. You've got some great knowledge to give to this forum - don't cloud it by showing everyone you don't know something...

And saying all CUB beers taste like "crap" is just plain dumb. They may not be all fancy and fruity and refined and claaaaaassssy, like fellas who only drink imported beers - but they are quite enjoyable (ok, not VB). You've drunken a bucket load of CUB beers in your time, don't bullshit us - we all have. Being all wise about Aussie Lagers being shit is just so passe. Get some new material.

Anyway, last I hear from you because this time you just earned a promotion to the IGNORE LIST. Please, oh please add me to yours - the chip on your shoulder must be getting heavy.

Here here.. I was reading this thread , and it started sounding like a smartarse competition..

You know MHB - someone can be 'wrong'
without the need to tell them that they FAIL -

or even the need for your comment at all. Quite nasty.

Cheers.

JD

Back OT, yesterday afternoon I cracked my keg of German Pils which had 30g of its Hallertau additions French Pressed, then the hop tea chucked back in at the beginning of fermentation and it's awesome, like going on holiday to Germany. As a no chiller I think I've overcome to a certain degree one of the disadvantages of using cube chilling and will definitely be doing this from now on with beers that need to display hop aroma. :icon_cheers:

Back OT, yesterday afternoon I cracked my keg of German Pils which had 30g of its Hallertau additions French Pressed, then the hop tea chucked back in at the beginning of fermentation and it's awesome, like going on holiday to Germany. As a no chiller I think I've overcome to a certain degree one of the disadvantages of using cube chilling and will definitely be doing this from now on with beers that need to display hop aroma. :icon_cheers:

Have you tried it with some non-noble varieties? I'm too paranoid to dry hop with Citra because of bad experiences with Galaxy - this might be the best way to passionfruit up an APA without risking it.

Could you elaborate on this hop tea? Are you basicaly putting some hops in a couple of litres of water for some time to allow the arome and possibly some flavour to be released into the water. Then adding the water only to the fermenter?
What is the benefit of this over a simple 5 min addition?
cheers

Could you elaborate on this hop tea? Are you basicaly putting some hops in a couple of litres of water for some time to allow the arome and possibly some flavour to be released into the water. Then adding the water only to the fermenter?
cheers

I have been waiting for this for a long time. You should know better as you have been on the forum for a long time and have seen posts about hop teas before.

So here it goes.

Use the search function to answer your question. That is what it is for.

Sure if you enter hop tea it will say sorry you need to search for more then 3 letters. Try a google search.

My sincere apology to Husky.

I miss-read or miss-understood whom the post was from.

To answer the question on Hop Tea to the best of my understanding.

It is used as a partial substitute for dry hoping. The common way it is done is to use a French Press and add the hops as you would the coffee and then add boiling water and press the hops and extract the tea. The tea can be added after the wort is cooled or after fermentation. My understanding is it is added after fermentation to give the beer a flavor and aroma punch.

I have done it only once and found the results not as good as dry hopping but that the result lasted longer and actually kicked in after a week or two.

Hope this helps a after my big foul up.

And yes I had a bit of a bad beginning to my day. Not that it excuses me for making such a big mistake. I again apologize for the insult.

cheers

I have been waiting for this for a long time. You should know better as you have been on the forum for a long time and have seen posts about hop teas before.

So here it goes.

Use the search function to answer your question. That is what it is for.

Sure if you enter hop tea it will say sorry you need to search for more then 3 letters. Try a google search.

Katzke, did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning... How do you know Husky has seen posts before re: Hop Tea... Do you look over his shoulder from the other side of the planet :huh:

Husky, try

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=42718

Tyler

I do browse quite often, but never come across the term hop tea before. Cant search for it here but suppose I could have tried google.
Anyways, thanks for the explination, will try this next brew.

cheers

Hi Husky
Yes, the idea is to "quarantine" some of the aroma of the hops so that it doesn't get diminished in the boiling wort in the no-chill cube. I still do 10 minute additions but these get 'lost' to a certain extent in the cube and I find that the hop tea adds a hop freshness - more similar - I guess - to using a hop back then rapid chilling.
I only make a 500ml batch which I put into a sanitised Schott Bottle (lab bottle) and keep it in the fridge to add to the fermenter at the same time as I pitch the yeast. I find that a Woolies ''Essentials" brand coffee plunger with around 30g of hops makes a good 500 of hop tea. I do the hop tea before the brew and put the pressings into the boil as part of the bittering, waste not want not :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back