Re-using Caps

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin Rudd is giving me money. I am going to lash out and but some new crown seals. Can you purchase them individually?

and yes...sarcasm is hard to translate in the written word.

They are a cheap part of the process so buy and use "fresh" and "new" ones.

As for the scientific arguments....forget about it. Gave that stuff up in year 10 along time ago in a galaxy, far, far away!

Yep all possible - i reuse caps all the time ... for the kegs ....

Sorry, sorry, yessss yesss ...

Scotty

I could see how it can be done if using a twist top bottle - I bottle the remaining beer (after kegging) into usually a 6 pack of coopers stubbies. Crown seal them on, twist them off - hence no damage.

+1 Yup, that's what I was thinking. It can be done quite easily with twisties. But reusing soft drink bottles would be much better for tightwads, or get some of those swing top Grolsch bottles - built in caps!

Trouble is, unless you know someone who drinks a few of those bottles - they cost more than a $2 bag of homebrand caps at Coles. D'oh! (slaps forehead) :lol:

Hopper

I could see how it can be done if using a twist top bottle - I bottle the remaining beer (after kegging) into usually a 6 pack of coopers stubbies. Crown seal them on, twist them off - hence no damage.

And I knew a guy many years ago who recycled them. And when he told me I was gobsmacked...

I have never reused them, too risky IMO for all that good beer to go to waste.

But as many others have said, for under $2 for a pack of 100 at Woolies (no affiliation, etc) or the LHBS, it hardly seems worth it.

There is my 1 bottle cap's worth... (2c) ;)

An uncle of mine has done this for years with twist tops. I think he's convinced that you cant use crown seal caps on twist top bottles (although 'crown seal' and 'twist top' caps dont actually exist in the first place).

He keeps his caps and soaks them in hot water prior to capping. The hot water reinvigorates the plastic in the cap giving a better seal. Then he twists them tight using a bottle opener.

When I was bottling before I went over to Kegs I use to save all my screw top caps and donations from friends and used them again with no probs. I just wash them and leave them in sun to dry and keep them in a icecream container. When it came to bottling I would put 30 odd in a bowl of sterilizer, screw them on and Roberts your fathers uncle. If the had any rust on them I would chuck em. ;)

Cheers

Well you did point us too this thread again Brad. You really are a tightarse eh :lol:

Edit: and I bet you are using some of the ideas above

Well you did point us too this thread again Brad. You really are a tightarse eh :lol:

Edit: and I bet you are using some of the ideas above

:lol: ........It all got a bit confusing with the earth being iron so my blood is red but if it were copper my blood would be green and the carbon emisions I could risk by one bottle leaking Co2 and the whole world would die because I reused bottle caps..................So I bought some kegs to save money on bottle caps :D

Did i mention Manticle admitted he drinks his own piss in this thread :ph34r:

Funny thing is I was looking at one of the sponsors sites today and he has oxygen sucking bottle tops.

Cheers

I have used old bottle caps to seal beers once before, but only to reseal beers i'd already opened and couldn't finish.
Not that the beer was any better the next day though. :wacko:

Personally, I wouldn't risk on a fresh brew...too much could go wrong.
Actually, this is not a bad idea. I bottle with Coopers longneck bottles
- glass, strength, less to wash - but dont usually drink a whole bottle at
a time and have tried those lever operated rubber bungs but found that
they bend after not that many uses.

So I thought to try opening the crown seals little by little around the cap
and then use my bench capper to reseal the opened bottle. This worked
quite well - even recapped a bottle twice over a few days - CO2 can be
retained quite well too if bottle is poured from gently.

LMao! Why even go through that process? Buy a can of goop drink it down and take a shot of yeast.
Sorts the ment from the boys I find.

Can of goop?

Real men mash the grains in their mouth, add some hops and a shot of yeast.... Now thats a meal

I thought I was tight until I read this thread. Does anyone know how I could power my fermenting fridge using a rat & some used bottletops?

The last time I bought bottletops I got 1000 & figured that when I start on the 2nd bag of 500 I'll buy another 500 bag. I don't remember what they cost so I can only assume it wasn't much.

Back