Re-bittering

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

On the back bloody porch!
Reaction score
OK - I stuffed up a recent Challenger Ale.

I used 17gms (7.6AA) @ 60 mins instead of 35gms. Dont ask why.

I bottled it last night and had a taste (as you do). Its sickly sweet, so hunted around for the reason. Not enough bittering hops! :angry:

Question: Is it possible to boil up some malt n hops to say 100 IBUs and suirt say 10-15mls into each bottle and re-cap them? Voosher has recommend 3 litres of water. How long would I boil for and how much malt would I need?

Cheers
Steve

Steve,

Here's the near incoherent ramble I've just posted on the Grumpy's site...

"Edit: All righty. My rationale works something like this, though I have to say having done the numbers it may not work quite so cleanly in this case because the IBU's are short by quite a way, but here goes.
You've got 23l @ 17IBU which you wanted to be 35IBU.
So if you wanted to lift the bitterness you'd add say one litre of a 100IBU brew.
That would give you 23l @ 17IBU plus 1l @ 100IBU which averages out to 24l @ 20.5IBU approx.
Trouble is you're going to need over 4l @ 100IBU to bring it up to 35IBU equivalent which I think is going to start to impact significantly on the flavour.
You may want to try brewing up a litre or so and add some to the glass when you pour to see if it works before committing to doing it further. If you add it to the glass you'd want around 100ml of 100IBU for each 375ml stubbie. Not insignificant proportions.
I'm starting to favour brewing up another batch at around 53IBU and blending them stubbie for stubbie."

Most important line is the last.

If you want to go ahead and brew something around 100IBU then it's 100g DME per litre of water and 4.5g of your 7.6 AA Challengers per litre for a 60m boil.

Steve,

Here's the near incoherent ramble I've just posted on the Grumpy's site...

"Edit: All righty. My rationale works something like this, though I have to say having done the numbers it may not work quite so cleanly in this case because the IBU's are short by quite a way, but here goes.
You've got 23l @ 17IBU which you wanted to be 35IBU.
So if you wanted to lift the bitterness you'd add say one litre of a 100IBU brew.
That would give you 23l @ 17IBU plus 1l @ 100IBU which averages out to 24l @ 20.5IBU approx.
Trouble is you're going to need over 4l @ 100IBU to bring it up to 35IBU equivalent which I think is going to start to impact significantly on the flavour.
You may want to try brewing up a litre or so and add some to the glass when you pour to see if it works before committing to doing it further. If you add it to the glass you'd want around 100ml of 100IBU for each 375ml stubbie. Not insignificant proportions.
I'm starting to favour brewing up another batch at around 53IBU and blending them stubbie for stubbie."

Most important line is the last.

If you want to go ahead and brew something around 100IBU then it's 100g DME per litre of water and 4.5g of your 7.6 AA Challengers per litre for a 60m boil.

Cheers for that Voosher - much appreciated - will have a think.
Steve

I stuffed up my IBU calculations once, before I realised that wort SG affected hop utilisation... I realised after 24 hours of fermentation, so fixing it was simple as working out the hopping schedule to make up the difference given plain water (SG=0), doing a boil of about 500mL, then tipping it into the fermenter. Worked a treat.

I stuffed up my IBU calculations once, before I realised that wort SG affected hop utilisation... I realised after 24 hours of fermentation, so fixing it was simple as working out the hopping schedule to make up the difference given plain water (SG=0), doing a boil of about 500mL, then tipping it into the fermenter. Worked a treat.

Thanks Len - but I bottled it last night :(
Steve

Back