Rauchmalz?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballzac

Reaction score
I brewed an oatmeal stout with about 54% Weyermann smoked today. I must say that it is tasting superb and extremely well balanced as wort. However, the smoke flavour is very mild. Even with 100%, it would not come close to being as smoky as an Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier. I am aware that some of these flavours may develop as the beer ferments and then matures, but I am highly skeptical that it will ever end up with more than a subtle smoke character. This is the first beer I have mashed using rauchmalz, and hoping there are other alternatives out there somewhere.

Just wondering if there are any other smoked malts (other than peated) available in Australia. I have read good things about Briess Cherry Wood Smoked.

I have actually tried smoking my own grain (not malting it, just wetting bought malted barley, and then drying it out over smoke) using hickory, but it came out really one dimentional. Perhaps if I tried beech or cherry I could get a better result? Really though, for the moment, I'm happy to use commercial grain, but want to know if there are any options other than Weyermann. Even the extract from Craftbrewer is Weyermann.

Like I said, this current beer is gonna come out really nice, but I'd like to be able to push the smoke a bit further and maybe do a heavily smoked Munich Dunkel or something. :)

If I can't find a strong enough one, the answer is probably to malt my own barley and roast is over beechwood. The main problem with this is that I don't have a mill, so I would have to get it crushed somewhere, somehow.

EDIT: Spelling

I think you would have liked the hoepfner rauchmalz, which unfortunately is no longer available in aid anymore. You can smoke you own malt in a weber style BBQ. Have a google search or read of radical brewing.

Cheers
Phil

You can smoke you own malt in a weber style BBQ.
I actually used a wok with hickory in the bottom and the malt on a steamer, but like I said, it came out really one dimentional. Do you have any suggestions for wood? Or would beechwood simply be the best?

Sorry, I think rauchmalz tastes like arse. So I hve no experience.

But again, a google search and/or radical brewing will give you lots of info.

I would actually try smoking with something Australian, like eucolyptus or whatever for a smoked beer with Aussie flavour.

Cheers
Phil

Also, I know there are videos out there on how to smoke grain and what wood to use.

Using beer for bongwater and drinking it does not a Rauchbier make.

I've used up to 85% Weyermann smoked and the smoke flavour was powerful weak. I doubt 100% would make that much difference.

It's used to make lager beer. Ale yeast and warm fermentation probably knock the flavour/aroma about.

Screwy

It's used to make lager beer. Ale yeast and warm fermentation probably knock the flavour/aroma about.

Screwy
This hasn't fermented yet, so if you're right, the nice subtle smoke flavour might vanish altogether :( I'm well aware that it's out of style, but it seems so logical to pair the roasted barley flavour with smoke flavour. Hopefully the smoke character it has now will remain in the finished product.

There was a thread here a while ago that was you might find interesting... http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=43697 here it is.

My recent experience with a smoked porter was that the smoke fades with conditioning. However it does also integrate better and allow other malt flavours to come through which I prefer. I used about 2kg in a 6.5 kg grain bill and really enjoyed the subtle smoke (definitely present) without finding the brew overwhelming. The Scherlenka rauch marzen is lovely but I could only drink one glass in one sitting. I'd prefer to get my smoke from something like a glass of lagavulin.

One possibility might be smoking your own but smoke various amounts using different woods to try and get different characters (eg 20% with beech, 20% with oak, 20% with.....etc etc).

I dont mind the Scherlenka Rauchbier - managed to drink 2 bottles in a sitting, but it does need to be served at cellar temps to allow the full smoke flavour to come out. This could be the case with your beer as well. I've also heard of people barrel-aging their beers in old whiskey barrels to impart flavour - one specifically mentioned using Lagavulin barrels that they bought in Scotland. Perhaps you could experiment a bit here... obviously, you probably wont be able to get your hands on some Lagavulin barrels, but you could try buying some oak-barrel chips from your LHBS and add them during the primary (or secondary) to see what flavours they impart. You could even try re-hydrating the chips in Lagavulin (or other peaty whiskeys).
You could also try and add some liquid smoke, which you can get in hickory or mesquite flavours (try usafoods.com.au), but I dont think this will give the best result - just doesnt seem right...

Barto

Looks like there is a rauchmalt other than Weyermann, not sure if its available in Aus. There is a listed distributor if you're keen enough to chase it up though.

http://www.brewferm.be/en/index.htm
Rauchmalz 5 EBC The one and only Rauchmalz. Made by smoking the grains over beech wood. Gives a true smoky aroma to your beer. 5 to 10% gives a light touch; can be used up to 50% for Smokey Joes.

Let us know if you do, I'd be interested in a bag but too lazy to chase it up.

i just make my own, using a mix of woods.

Latest posts

Back