Rauchbeir

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixa

Barking Hound Brewery
Reaction score
Guys..

I'm looking for a Rauch recipe.. Nothing too bushfire-ish, more a mild flavour, maybe in an irish red style?

I've got peated distilling malt, and smoked malt aswell i think

Any hints using this malt?

Cheers

Fixa

I brewed a Smoked Robust Porter using the Jamil recipe below for the HAG Xmas swap, and it seems to have gone down pretty well. I used Maris Otter for the base malt:
http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/The_Ja...ust_Porter.html

I also brewed a straight Rauchbier with the leftover smoked malt I had and it is tasting bloody good out of the lagering keg. Only difference was I used WLP833 as I had some lying around. If you aren't after a bushfire, maybe this one isn't for you ;)
http://byo.com/recipe/1449.html

I have read the peat distillled malt should only be used in really small amounts in some scotch ales, and is nothing at all like the smoked weyermanns malt. Never used it myself. With regards to your smoked malt, just chuck it in the mash as it will convert itself. Also, take a taste of your smoked grain before you use it - I have obtained smoked malt rom two different suppliers and one was miles smokier than the other. I don't know if this was due to the age of the grain or perhaps just different maltster.

Did a smoked porter a few years back using around 350g of Hoepfner Rauch and it was lovely stuff.

I tried to repeat it the next year, but thought I'd up the smoke flavour a bit so I so I used 600g of Wey Rauch and I ended up dubbing it my- "NON SMOKING PORTER" absolutely undetectable.

Last year I ended up trying it again using just over 2kgs of Wey smoked and It was about right.

Just bare in mind that the smoke flavour will back off after a while.

I've probably only confused you further, but just keep in mind that the wey rauch ( if thats what it is)is quite mild.

Cheers
BB

Ahhhhh Rauchbier....... one of my passions!

Smoked porter is good

Ale malt base with 15% rauchmalz, 8% medium crystal, 5% chocolate and 1.5% black malt

1.055, 40 to 45 IBU with lots of EKG and about 1/2g / liter at 5 min to go.

great beer!

Another beer that should be on every brewers to do list is the Smokin GT. The recipe was posted by GT.... formaly of grumpys, ooooooo about 4 or 5 years ago. It was my 2nd AG beer and i have made it a few times since. Its basicly a smoked oktoberfest, light in colour, malty, flavoursone and very quaffable.

easy recipe!

70% munich or vienna malt....use your favourite.
15% Pils malt
15% Rauchmalz.
you could add in 5% caramunich 2 and 1 or 2% cararomma for some deeper colours if you want to!

1.056 mashed at about 65 to 66 deg. Give it a 20 min 25 deg protein rest if you can..... it will make a big difference with all that german malt.

28IBU with something noble. all bittering, add a little bit at the end if you want but this beer is about the malt!

firment clean with US-05 for an ale but preferably use WLP833 lager yeast or the dry one...... S-189 or what ever it is. Its good too.

Id give the distilling malt a miss in beer. get a water purifier and make some scotch with it instead!

cheers

Smokin_GT__832_x_1248_.jpg

Cheers Thanks guys for the inspiration!

Ahhhhh Rauchbier....... one of my passions!

Smoked porter is good

Ale malt base with 15% rauchmalz, 8% medium crystal, 5% chocolate and 1.5% black malt

1.055, 40 to 45 IBU with lots of EKG and about 1/2g / liter at 5 min to go.

great beer!

Hi Tony,

this sounds exactly like the next beer I'm planning. Just wondering, what yeast do you use with this one and what level of smokey character do you get with 15% rauch?

I was going to go:

77% pale malt (Maris Otter)
5% pale choc (Bairds)
5% dark crystal (Bairds)
12% rauch (Weyermann)
1% black (Bairds)

With a London Ale yeast (Wyeast 1028), OG of 1050, about 35BU with EKG, single infusion @ 67 degrees.

Going for a "smokey brown porter" style. Hoping to balance the pale choc with the dark crystal and balance it all further with the fruitiness of the yeast strain selected. Any other comments gladly accepted, as this is my first crack at this style.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

This is a ripper, not too full on with the smoke
2.54 Kg Pils
0.8 Munich
2Kg Rauch Malt
225gms Caramunich 60L
115 gms Melanoidin
57gms Black malt

Hallertau 4 x Plugs @ 60mins was about 3.2% (Whatever Ross has at the moment)
Hallertau 1 x Plugs @ 10mins

Yeast 2 packs of 34/70
Mash at 68C
90 minute boil
10C ferment for 2 weeks
1C lagering for 3 weeks
Keg to about 2.5 Volumes
OG 1.056
23L

It does sound nice! I'm more going for a brown porter with smokey accents though, as opposed to a rauch bier, despite the thread title! I just saw Tony's recipe and it was almost identical to what I had planned.

Out of interest, what type of rauch malt did you use, Mike? Was it the Weyermann stuff? Interesting you say it was quite mild, despite the large proportion of grist that it makes up.

Along very similar lines to the one Tony posted about (Smokin GT) here is a recipe the guy up the road from me gave me ages ago. Unfortunately I've never had a chance to brew it yet so I pass this info on with all the typical disclaimers :)

Edit: I should state, it was for a 23 ltr batch.

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.94 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 68.00 %
0.87 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 15.00 %
0.87 kg Smoked Malt (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 15.00 %
0.12 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 2.00 %
50.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.70 %] (60 min) Hops 18.2 IBU
30.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.70 %] (45 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
10.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.70 %] (0 min) Hops -

i find weymans smoke is not as strong hopfhners so i normaly double the old amount so in ave about 2 kg per 25 ltr btch

Hi Julez.

Your Porter looks great. If your using pale chocolate, i would up the amount to 8% and the rest looks tops.

I made that recipe a while back with hoepfner rauchmalz and as jazman said........ it was a lot stronger. I actually much prefered it to the Weyermann stuff available today which is a lot milder.

The 12% in the recipe will give a mild smoke presence that will be hidden somewhat by all the flavours in a porter. I would go 15 to 20% if you want to smoke to be a bit more prominent. If not........ leave it!.

I just made a Classic Rauchbier....... its fermenting right now.

I used 40% ruachmalz, about 24% munich 2, 30% pilsner, 2% caramunich2, 2% caraaroma and 2% carafa spec 2
1.064, 35 IBU with SAAZ in the boil and a bit of SAAZ at the end.

It doesnt smell as smoky as some of the beers i made using 15% Hoepfner Rauch which was a bit disapointing actually.

Does anyone know if Hoepfner Rauchmalz is available in OZ?

I miss it!

cheers

Give it a 20 min 25 deg protein rest if you can..... it will make a big difference with all that german malt.

Is this a typo or am I badly informed.. I thought protein rests were more like 50 deg?

do you need to ask.............. really?

I would like to edit it to corect it but you cant edit after a certain time any more for some stupid reason

sorry folks........... my typing fingers ment to say 52 deg!

Oh please!

Im getting to the point where i dont want to post any more in case i spell something wrong

I did a Rauchbier quite a long time ago when I went in a split of Weyermann Smoked which turned out disappointing smokewise at my first attempt at a Smoked Porter.
Used the rest (3.6Kg) on the Rauch & was still disappointed with the results.

I now use Bairds Peated in all my smokies but, like Tony, would love to find a place that sells Hoepfner Rauchmalz in Oz.

TP :beer:

Does anyone know if Hoepfner Rauchmalz is available in OZ?

A Google search found the Hoepfner Rauchmalz at ESB, although I then tried drilling into their site from the main page and couldn't find the right links. Perhaps it is an old page?
http://esbeer.com.au/category17_1.htm

I also found the following older link (with 2005 pricelist) which might be worth trying if ESB don't have it-
www.brewbyyou.com.au/pricelist.htm

If all else fails, try asking the Hoepfner-
www.hoepfner.de/malz/malz.htm#textanfang

do you need to ask.............. really?

I would like to edit it to corect it but you cant edit after a certain time any more for some stupid reason

sorry folks........... my typing fingers ment to say 52 deg!

Sorry mate I didn't mean to dis you, I've never done steps before and can never remember which ones and what temperature. Keep posting please!

You are one of not many posters on here who's words I trust and respect!

Back