Rauchbeir

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want a Rauchbier then I suggest you use rauchmalt as your base grain.
Bamberg is the home of rauchbier and the home of Weyermann.
I would seriously suggest some 100% rauchmalt in your grist, mayhaps some roast as well, but no more than 3%.
I have not made one but have tasted a fair number of examples.
K smoke

Sorry mate I didn't mean to dis you, I've never done steps before and can never remember which ones and what temperature. Keep posting please!

You are one of not many posters on here who's words I trust and respect!

Your right mate......... i wasnt upset :) just wish i could type better.

will take more than that to make me stop :)

on the Rauchbier, i tried my 40% Weyermann Rauchmalz effort last night, 3/4 fermented. ran a touch into a small glass to taste for infection.

tastes clean and malty but bugger all smoke.

I was actually thinking last night i would have been better using more like 80 or 90% as a base grain as DR K said. THe smoked character of this malt has really become quite tame <_<

Might have to rebuild my home smoker and make some more Ironbark Rauchmalz. Not 15% of that tasted like a bushfire in your mouth!

cheers

Hi Julez.

Your Porter looks great. If your using pale chocolate, i would up the amount to 8% and the rest looks tops.

I made that recipe a while back with hoepfner rauchmalz and as jazman said........ it was a lot stronger. I actually much prefered it to the Weyermann stuff available today which is a lot milder.

The 12% in the recipe will give a mild smoke presence that will be hidden somewhat by all the flavours in a porter. I would go 15 to 20% if you want to smoke to be a bit more prominent. If not........ leave it!.

I just made a Classic Rauchbier....... its fermenting right now.

I used 40% ruachmalz, about 24% munich 2, 30% pilsner, 2% caramunich2, 2% caraaroma and 2% carafa spec 2
1.064, 35 IBU with SAAZ in the boil and a bit of SAAZ at the end.

It doesnt smell as smoky as some of the beers i made using 15% Hoepfner Rauch which was a bit disapointing actually.

Does anyone know if Hoepfner Rauchmalz is available in OZ?

I miss it!

cheers

Thanks a lot Tony, much appreciated feedback :)

Sounds like the Hoepfner is the go if it can be tracked down anywhere...will see what I can find, otherwise might up the qty a little if I'm stuck with Weyermann.

Cheers, Julez.

Thanks a lot Tony, much appreciated feedback :)

Sounds like the Hoepfner is the go if it can be tracked down anywhere...will see what I can find, otherwise might up the qty a little if I'm stuck with Weyermann.

Cheers, Julez.
Julez,

You can no longer get any Hoepfner Malts in Australia. Use the Weyermann as you planned to, and see how it turns out. Everyone will have different taste thresholds for smoked beers. Where one person says use X% another will say use Y%.
You need to brew the beer, evaluate it and then adjust for you taste next time you brew it.

I used 30% Weyermann Smoked in an ale earlier this year, rest of the grains were Galaxy and Vienna. I could certainly taste the smoked malt in this beer. In a porter there are other dark grain flavours your smoked malt will compete with so it may not be distinguishable at 12%.

Good luck with it anyway and report back.

C&B
TDA

Julez,

You can no longer get any Hoepfner Malts in Australia. Use the Weyermann as you planned to, and see how it turns out. Everyone will have different taste thresholds for smoked beers. Where one person says use X% another will say use Y%.
You need to brew the beer, evaluate it and then adjust for you taste next time you brew it.

I used 30% Weyermann Smoked in an ale earlier this year, rest of the grains were Galaxy and Vienna. I could certainly taste the smoked malt in this beer. In a porter there are other dark grain flavours your smoked malt will compete with so it may not be distinguishable at 12%.

C&B
TDA

Thanks TDA,

yeah, I couldn't find any vendors for the Hoepfner from my searches. As you say, will just have to give it a whirl and see how she goes. Will be sure to report back my findings. I'm sure it will be a nice beer anyway :)

in brewing classic styles, the classic rauch recipe says he starts at 33% smoked, which is normally smokey enough for most people - though he prefers it at 50%. Doesn't mention what brand though unfortunately, judging from other posts I'd say it'd be the Weyerman.

Also says never to used peated under any circumstances in any beer lol, I don't think he's a fan of it.

On this subject actually, I always thought that rauch was german but peated was pommy, so would likely suit a smoked porter better, apparently its really strong though so you would only need a handful.

in brewing classic styles, the classic rauch recipe says he starts at 33% smoked, which is normally smokey enough for most people - though he prefers it at 50%. Doesn't mention what brand though unfortunately, judging from other posts I'd say it'd be the Weyerman.

Also says never to used peated under any circumstances in any beer lol, I don't think he's a fan of it.

On this subject actually, I always thought that rauch was german but peated was pommy, so would likely suit a smoked porter better, apparently its really strong though so you would only need a handful.

Apparently the peated is a lot more "earthy" tasting, so you have to go easy with it, though I've never tried it! Will probably try some quantity of it in a future brew though.

Peat smoked doesnt sound all that appealing I think, I guess in a rainforest or something decaying vegetation can smell nice and earthy, but it seems strange to want to taste it lol. At any rate, I have heard that it is incredibly strong and a literal handful is usually enough if not more than.

Julez,

C&B
TDA

Was that the smoked ale that you dropped off to me to try?
That was pretty good, the smoked in that was at just the right level for my tastes .....I wasn't sure if I would like it that much as I've had a couple in the past that seemed a little overpowering, to the point of tasting like smoked bacon flavoured potato chips - but it was just as good as the other beers. (they were all good, particularly the helles, that took the prize as the best beer I have had in a long long while - my only gripe was that it was a bottle and not a keg... :) wouldn't mind the recipe for that...)

Peat smoked malt id for making top notch single malt scotch whiskeys.

Go buy a bottle of Bowmore and see!

get the 12 year old one........... its tops........... costs a bit but on ise the sweet smokiness is fantastic!

cheers

Was that the smoked ale that you dropped off to me to try?
That was pretty good, the smoked in that was at just the right level for my tastes .....I wasn't sure if I would like it that much as I've had a couple in the past that seemed a little overpowering, to the point of tasting like smoked bacon flavoured potato chips - but it was just as good as the other beers. (they were all good, particularly the helles, that took the prize as the best beer I have had in a long long while - my only gripe was that it was a bottle and not a keg... :) wouldn't mind the recipe for that...)

Yes domonsura, that was the smoked ale I gave you to try. Glad you liked it. :)
Thanks for the compliments on the beers, I will send you the helles recipe via PM.

C&B
TDA

Latest posts

Back