Raspberry Wheat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt89

Reaction score
Hey guys, just put down a wheat beer and will be turning it into a raspberry wheatie.

I'm using the ESB Bavarian Wheat kit with WB-06 fermenting at 18C.

Gonna let this do its thing for the next week/ reaches FG then i plan on racking it onto 2KG of fresh farm organic raspberries (pureed) then let it sit for another week until kegging.

I'm open for any critiquing? I plan on boiling the pureed raspberries, as i have been told they have wild yeast on them, will this loose any flavour?

Cheers Matt

yes you will lose flavour. personally id do it chemically, but thats up to you.
part of a camden tablet in some water add to the puree then leave for 24 hours to stand before adding to your fermentor.
also id sugest racking on to the raspberries at about 10 points before its expected final gravity ( so if its finishing at 1010 then rack at 1020 or 1015) then leaving for two weeks then racking, leaving for a couple of days then kegging.
otherwise you end up with bits of raspberry in the keg, while it tasty great the bits have a habit of clogging the poppets in the keg.
the longer you leave it sit before kegging with out disturbing it will mean clearer and less chunks.
last time i did mine i racked it on to the berries then moved it to where it would be racked from next time, well ok i did this with one of the two. the second one went straight in to a keg hence why i know they have a tendency to clog the poppets

Cheers for the advice, where abouts would I find camden tabs?

My 2 cents

I dont think it is necessary at all to puree your raspberries, you will get unwanted flavour from the seeds.
A rough mash with potato masher works fine.

I also placed them in a grain bag in the secondary, then racked the pretty much finished beer on top(had been in primary for 7 days) let go for another week, by which time they were white and i had a stable FG.
Carefully removed the bag, cold conditioned for a few days to drop the yeast, no chucks, turned out quite clear.

most good home brew shops carry them. mate.

is 2kg a good amount for a 22l batch? just looking for the hint

is 2kg a good amount for a 22l batch? just looking for the hint

I used 100g of raspberry per L = prominent raspberry aroma and flavour, combined with 50% wheat in grain bill, quite tart.
Also very pink in colour.
Your results may vary , i dont know what your kit is like as a base?

I use 50 / 50 - Weyerman Pale Malt / Wey Wheat malt - quite a pale straw colour to start with, low hopped, 25 ibu @ 60min.

Yeast will play a part also

I've been trying to find out what the ESB kit is even my LHBS couldn't tell me if it was 50/50 or straight wheat, reviews are good thou fingers crossed :)

I used 100g of raspberry per L = prominent raspberry aroma and flavour, combined with 50% wheat in grain bill, quite tart.
Also very pink in colour.
Your results may vary , i dont know what your kit is like as a base?

I use 50 / 50 - Weyerman Pale Malt / Wey Wheat malt - quite a pale straw colour to start with, low hopped, 25 ibu @ 60min.

Yeast will play a part also

Would you recommend similar dosing for cherries in a wheat beer? I've come into 10kg of cherries for cheap(free) and want to use them in a wheat beer and a kriek.

Would you recommend similar dosing for cherries in a wheat beer? I've come into 10kg of cherries for cheap(free) and want to use them in a wheat beer and a kriek.

Never used cherries mate.

Any reading i have done on the subject suggests that cherries are used in roughly same amounts as raspberries.
Where as things like Blackberries and Strawberries are not as strong at the same amount.

MMM Kriek... memories of cantillion after the tour :icon_drool2:

my last couple have had amount ranging from 1.5 to 2.5kgs in 23L.
as for cherries i used about 1.5 in my cherry lambic and i thought it needed more.

Back