After some feedback for my wheat recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty McFly

Reaction score
Aloha mighty brewers!

I'm doing my first wheat brew that will hopefully be ready for Christmas. If I have to spend four days with the family I'm not doing it without 19L of beer.

The aim is to have some light, cloudy Hoegaarden-esque brew.

Here's what I have:

• 1x tin of Coopers Wheat (kit, not extract)
• 1KG Dry Wheat Malt
• 500g Wheat Malt Grains (uncracked)
• Peel of Two Oranges
• 10g Coriander Seeds (citrusy ones, not the ones that smell like celery)
• Safbrew WB-06

My plan was to vent some frustration on the grains with a rolling pin, dump it in 2L of just simmering water and leave it for about an hour. 15 minutes before that's done I'd chuck in the orange peel and crushed coriander seeds.

Next I'd strain the grains etc with a strainer into another pot and boil it until it's reaches the hot break. (Is that neccasary? I figured that was a thing.)

I'm not sure wether I should dump the bag of dry malt in with the mash (it's called that, right?) or just put it straight in the fermenter.

Kit goes straight in the fermenter with 1L of boiling water and the mash. Stir, then top up to 19L, aiming for 18-20 degrees.

Sprinkle yeast on top.

That's it! What do you guys think? Think it will it come out alright? Anything I should be doing differently?

Cheers for the help!

Matty McFly said:
My plan was to vent some frustration on the grains with a rolling pin, dump it in 2L of just simmering water and leave it for about an hour. 15 minutes before that's done I'd chuck in the orange peel and crushed coriander seeds.
What is the idea behind that? And what sort of grains are they? Malted?

For starters, mashing is steeping grain at about 65C. You then 'strain' the grain out and boil the liquid.

I would use a different yeast because WB06 is very phenolic and not what I consider a good wheat beer yeast. A smack pack of 3068 would be a good bet or you might get away with using Munich dry yeast. I prefer a recultured Weihenstephaner hefe bottle yeast.

indica86 said:
What is the idea behind that? And what sort of grains are they? Malted?
The bag says wheat malt, so I imagine so. I just wanted to have a go at using some fresh stuff.

hoppy2B said:
For starters, mashing is steeping grain at about 65C. You then 'strain' the grain out and boil the liquid.

I would use a different yeast because WB06 is very phenolic and not what I consider a good wheat beer yeast. A smack pack of 3068 would be a good bet or you might get away with using Munich dry yeast. I prefer a recultured Weihenstephaner hefe bottle yeast.
Cool! Mashin' it to the max!

May just have to go with the yeast I have, I've been to two different brew stores and the selection of yeast has been pretty dismal, no smack packs. It'll do for a first attempt, be a good comparison for me for next time.

Go with WYeast Forbidden Fruit 3463 for the yeast mate and ferment around 22c, you won't look back.

You need to mash at 65 to convert starches to sugars. Doing it hotter won't achieve the same result.

If you're not able to get a better yeast than WB06 you should consider getting a bottle of Weihenstephaner and reculturing by boiling your starter wort and mainting good sanitation practices. Yeast is critical to a yeast driven beer like wheat.

Not sure how you will go with a rolling pin and wheat (I would recommend not even trying it). Very frustrating and not productive at all.

Can you get extra pale out white wheat (cracked) anywhere? Do you have a six - pack esky at all or something a tiny bit bigger ? 500g should be ok in a six pack esky. If you go too hot you will denature the enzymes that convert starch to sugar, so stay at the 65 range.

Yeast wise I would highly recommend 3638 for cloudy Paulaner flavours, or the Forbidden Fruit.

Personally I like wb06 and reckon it'll get reasonably hoegardenish at 20C or a little more

Back