Randall, Tips, Rules, Advice For Best Performance

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi

Reaction score
I brought a hop rocket a while back and only recently starting using it as a Randall. Rather than starting out with a few hops and building up I max it it out the limit (3oz) of topaz hops. I was pleased with aroma I got but the grassiness (although it settled) was toooooo much. Anyway while I've just started experimenting with the Randall I was wondering what advice others would offer on getting the best from a Randall?
Any hops to avoid using?
Any hop varieties that produce good aroma but not the grassiness? (relative to weight of hops used)
Any rules on how much hops people would advise packing in to their Randall?
Do you alter serving temp for the Randall?
Etc etc

Ok what about adding things other than hops to the Randall , any experiences?

I built a randall from one of these 5" water filters with the included 10 micron mesh filter. Works a treat - absolutely awesome! I have some build photos and costs that I was going to post but just never got round to it. Anyway, it handles pellets as well as flowers, which is a real bonus for me as that's what I primarily order in a hop order. I also made it with a quick disconnect and a keg post so I can snap it inline quickly and remove it without fuss.

Any tips? A 10 micron filter isn't good enough to filter out hop dust from the bottom of the packet of pellets. I tried that last night and managed to block both taps, and then snapped a tap in the process of cleaning it.

I haven't been very adventurous with mine - just the usual suspects of hops and nothing else. But I'd really like to try some different things - was hoping someone else would post some things that they've tried. Somewhere there's a thread (in the last year or so) about adventurous randall stuffings. Just found it... here.

I like the idea of rose petals and black pepper!

I built a randall from one of these 5" water filters with the included 10 micron mesh filter. Works a treat - absolutely awesome! I have some build photos and costs that I was going to post but just never got round to it. Anyway, it handles pellets as well as flowers, which is a real bonus for me as that's what I primarily order in a hop order. I also made it with a quick disconnect and a keg post so I can snap it inline quickly and remove it without fuss.

Any tips? A 10 micron filter isn't good enough to filter out hop dust from the bottom of the packet of pellets. I tried that last night and managed to block both taps, and then snapped a tap in the process of cleaning it.

I haven't been very adventurous with mine - just the usual suspects of hops and nothing else. But I'd really like to try some different things - was hoping someone else would post some things that they've tried. Somewhere there's a thread (in the last year or so) about adventurous randall stuffings. Just found it... here.

I like the idea of rose petals and black pepper!

Thanks a great thread that one and some interesting experiments too try

Latest posts

Back