Raising temps at end of ferment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beamer

Reaction score
Gday all,

I have read about raising the temps in lagers for a d-rest towards the end of fermentation, and seen some brewers raise it towards the end of ales aswell.
I have tried it on my last two ales but they are still crash chilling and carbing, so I havent had a taste yet.
I raised the temp one degree a day for three days. Just curious if other brewers use this method aswell? And is it good for all styles?

Cheers,
Beamer

It's less of a one-size-fits all thing. If your recipe requires it then go for it.

Typically, I don't need to for ales. Lagers I do give a day at 20 deg C before cold crashing. There's no need to raise it so slowly (1 deg per hr is more appropriate; which is about how fast it can rise anyway without serious heating). Also, if you're fermenting at ~ 10 degrees, raising to only 13 degrees won't give you much benefit IMO.

There are a couple of views on the subject.
In lager brewing where the yeast is working colder and slower and if we face the facts in the case of most home brews is way underpitched its probably not a bad idea just to make sure the beer is fully attenuated (finished fermenting). In commercial brewing it is also used to speed up the cleanup of Diacetyl or to fix excessive Diacetyl levels. Another point is that if you crash chill to lagering temperatures from a low 8-14oC lager ferment, the yeast is very likely to go dormant, commercial brewers tend to cool the beer slowly so the yeast doesn't just shut down and keeps doing the clean up as it cools.

Remember that the heating up is to normal Ale fermenting temperature, so there would be little point in worrying about further heating Ale. just make sure the beer is fully fermented than crash chill.

You will find in brewing that there is rarely a single right answer for all conditions - quite a few wrong answers, few right ones.
Mark

Thanks lads, appreciate your advice. Good news to hear I havent hurt the beer.

Next topic to learn will be yeast pitching calculation

I've done it on my last two ales, but they've been slight bigger than usual OG. One was 1.058 and the other was 1.064. I was making a pale ale and an AIPA, so I wanted to make sure they finished. I raised it to 21 from 19 when SG was 1.014, as it was slowing down.

From what I've read, all the bad stuff that is produced by higher ferment temps is less likely to be produced towards the end of fermentation.

Brewers friend.com for yeast pitching calculator is what I use. V helpful

I raise lagers from 10C up to about 17-18C for a D-rest when it gets to about 1.020 SG and leave them there until a few days post hitting FG. I just change the controller temp and let it free-rise on its own inside the fridge. Same deal with ales, up from 18 or 19 by 3 degrees, same free-rise method. It's probably not necessary with ales but it's just become part of the routine now. Guess it's a bit of peace of mind in a way.

Back