Raising Temp Before Bottlling/kegging - Double Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a Double IPA that I dry hopped 8 days ago and it's been crash chilling at 2 degrees for the last 24-36 hours.

My question is ... Do I raise the temp back up before bottling / kegging? or can I just do it now while the brew is still at 2 degrees.

Thank you in advance for any replies

Cheers
Carboy
:icon_cheers:

You can do it as is.

As far as understand (and this may not be complete information)

Temperature will affect your priming rate but only insofar as the temperature range from after primary ferment finished/wound down. Generally the highest temperature the brew reached after primary (and for longer than three seconds) is the temp you use to calculate priming rate. Low temps shouldn't affect this.

The other factor that I learnt from MHB (and hopefully understood correctly) is that when you chill, you precipitate and drop out crud you don't want ( a lot of yeast sediment being one of those things). If you allow to warm you may allow some of those things (my understanding is proteins and the like) to resuspend, thus defeating the purpose of chilling.

If I have that wrong, somebody cane me.

+1 bottle/keg it cold for sure.

Any bottling with priming sugar may not dissolve as well, and could take a little longer to carbonate - but this should deter you from proceeding down this path.

I bottle/keg all my beers after a crash chill now too.

Latest posts

Back