Raisin The Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikedub

Reaction score
I've got a quite a few dark malts wanting to get to work and I'm drawing up an oatmeal stout atm. Occasionally I come across a stout that has a prominent and to me a cloying raisin flavour which, nothing personal against raisins, I don't like.

Anyone know what the catalyst for this flavour is, Is it the dark crystal, amber or possibly the chocolate malt, or is it a yeast thing?

cheers

If you have Caraaroma then that's likely the cause. I like it in a "red" ale and use a shedload but I don't think I'd put it in a stout, I go more for biscuitty type grains like flaked barley, amber malt etc.

If you have Caraaroma then that's likely the cause. I like it in a "red" ale and use a shedload but I don't think I'd put it in a stout, I go more for biscuitty type grains like flaked barley, amber malt etc.

+1 It's the dark crystals, caraaroma being the darkest of the crystals IIRC, that give raisin

Yeah I get a lot of raisin from using dark crystal, and a shed load with CaraAroma :icon_drool2:

I've got a quite a few dark malts wanting to get to work and I'm drawing up an oatmeal stout atm. Occasionally I come across a stout that has a prominent and to me a cloying raisin flavour which, nothing personal against raisins, I don't like.

Anyone know what the catalyst for this flavour is, Is it the dark crystal, amber or possibly the chocolate malt, or is it a yeast thing?

cheers

Maybe a recipe? Some yeasts and even some hops are described as giving raisin flavours.

thanks for the info posters, its no dark crystal or carraomas for me then,

Maybe a recipe? Some yeasts and even some hops are described as giving raisin flavours.

havnt put the recipe together just yet, its been in commercial stouts i've noticed it and looking to avoid it,

I'm thinking I may have been bullied by a raisin or an older grape when I was young :unsure:

Latest posts

Back