Rain water ( good or bad)?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been brewing kits, and now extract for about 18 months and we only have rainwater. I'm really happy with the majority of the beers I produce, and the couple of ordinary ones I can put down to brewer error rather than water issues. Never boil it before hand either. After drinking rainwater regularly, you really start to pick up on some odd tastes in town and city water, so even if I had access to both, I think I'd still use rainwater.

That being said, I'm about to move into the world of All Grain and, while I'll spend the first few brews getting my head around mashing and getting to know my equipment, I'll probably look at what additions I can make once I'm comfortable with the whole process.

I guess rainwater doesn't have fish poo and piss in it... Hahahaha
I have only ever used tap water run through a filter and its been great!
Like what one of the other guys said, if its good to drink it will be good to brew with

I have been on rainwater 18 years, never had any trouble with brewing beer. People who say to boil it before adding to a kit don't understand microbiology - beer spoilage micro-organisms are not water-borne, you don't need to boil it. If it is safe to drink it is safe to brew with.

I usually use my dam water for brewing, the turtle piss gives it that extra bit of flavour.

Greg.L said:
I usually use my dam water for brewing, the turtle piss gives it that extra bit of flavour.
Do many VB clones?

I'll agree that if it's safe to drink it's safe to brew with,but..
Droopy said:
I guess rainwater doesn't have fish poo and piss in it... Hahahaha
I have only ever used tap water run through a filter and its been great!
Like what one of the other guys said, if its good to drink it will be good to brew with
No,but birds poo and piss on your roof.

Greg.L said:
I have been on rainwater 18 years, never had any trouble with brewing beer. People who say to boil it before adding to a kit don't understand microbiology - beer spoilage micro-organisms are not water-borne, you don't need to boil it. If it is safe to drink it is safe to brew with.

I'm got rain water if I need,but I'm on an orchard and there's spray drift,the spouting is full of crap like most ppl's,and the tank is an old corrugated iron one full of rust.I'll stick to bore water.It mightn't make a difference to boil for brewing,but there can be a bacterial health risk for normal drinking if a water tank isn't maintained correctly.I'd still filter it for brewing,my 2c

I use rainwater, and modify it to suit the style I'm brewing.
However, I'm in an area where there is no airborne industrial crap, so it's' fairly pure.
Equally, when my beers were made with tap water and, again, modified to suit, it also worked well.

I brew AG, and it all gets boiled for at least an hour minimum.
If you are adding it to a kit, I'd take heed of the warnings posted so far.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Oh....and if you want to play water chem you are better off having a seperate small tank to add your salts to...let them sit for a while and do their thing.
I have not heard this before DS, could you explain?

warra48 said:
I brew AG, and it all gets boiled for at least an hour minimum.
If you are adding it to a kit, I'd take heed of the warnings posted so far.
When I do all grain I make it at a higher sg so it easier too cool, then after it has cooled I can dilute it with some cold water to bring down to pitching temperature. If you boil water when you don't need to you are just making the cooling stage harder. If boiling everything makes you feel safer then that is ok, but you shouldn't feel you have to.

Greg

Just want to.add that the person who told me about having a seperate tank to allow salts etc has Phd in chem eng.....how we got onto water chem I have no idea.......we was drinking and the subject of beer came up.......

I ALWAYS boil water. Tap water to drive off chlorine, tank water to kill any possible larvae and other nasties, (because I don't regularly drink my tank water, just used for gardening). But yes, if you regularly drink it and have no ill effects it should be fine. Bigger question, other than having to wait a little while longer for cooling, what's wrong with some added peace of mind by boiling?

Ducatiboy stu said:
Just want to.add that the person who told me about having a seperate tank to allow salts etc has Phd in chem eng.....how we got onto water chem I have no idea.......we was drinking and the subject of beer came up.......
I tend to let salts combine in tun as mash water is heating up in tun, this seems to work. Thanks for the info DS.

Maxt said:
I ALWAYS boil water. Tap water to drive off chlorine, tank water to kill any possible larvae and other nasties, (because I don't regularly drink my tank water, just used for gardening). But yes, if you regularly drink it and have no ill effects it should be fine. Bigger question, other than having to wait a little while longer for cooling, what's wrong with some added peace of mind by boiling?
Tis all about doing what makes you feel comfortable that your brew will turn out good,

There is a fair bit of energy involved in boiling, water has a high specific heat, so that will be expense. For a whole 20L kit or extract brew you are talking a lot of unnecessary energy and cooling time. Also it is good to understand the principles behind brewing rather than acting because of unfounded fears. But there is no harm in boiling the water apart from that.

True Greg, if energy and expense is an issue...I spend far more on my beers than if I would, If I could only stomach drinking a slab of VB.

The other downside for a kit brewer with boiling is that you have removed some of the oxygen in the water, so it is important to aerate when adding your cold.

Nibbo said:
Although over summer having no rain down here (SW VIC) for months we developed a good amount of H2S (hydrogen Sulphide) in there (due to not being stirred up which helps introduce oxygen to the water). Apparently the missus doesn't enjoy the taste and smell of rotten egg. Doesn't pose a risk unless i'm planning on entering the tank. Can kill you in a confined space if theres enough to displace the oxygen around you. Thinking of setting up a solar fountain pump in the tank to keep it aerated.

Other than the smell and odour issue, no problems with using rain water for brewing.
Thats F*#ked up...

I brew with tankwater as its fresher then my mains water, which from the tap gives a brown glass of water. Its to dirty to filter, i'd be changing filters everyday, we still drink and shower with it, but the tank water is there for back up and homebrewing.

Nibbo said:
Although over summer having no rain down here (SW VIC) for months we developed a good amount of H2S (hydrogen Sulphide) in there (due to not being stirred up which helps introduce oxygen to the water). Apparently the missus doesn't enjoy the taste and smell of rotten egg. Doesn't pose a risk unless i'm planning on entering the tank. Can kill you in a confined space if theres enough to displace the oxygen around you. Thinking of setting up a solar fountain pump in the tank to keep it aerated.

Other than the smell and odour issue, no problems with using rain water for brewing.
Thats F*#ked up...

I brew with tankwater as its fresher then my mains water, which from the tap gives a brown glass of water. Its to dirty to filter, i'd be changing filters everyday, we still drink and shower with it, but the tank water is there for back up and homebrewing.

I'm considering switching to rainwater for my brews, but living in the middle of coal mining country, I'm a little worried about water chemistry
Has anyone up this way used rainwater before?

Back