Racking Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceL

Reaction score
I racked my beer into a 20L jerry can this morning. Since It was only about 17L it did not fill all the way. I squeezed out as much as possible (which wasn't a lot) and tightened the lid. The jerry can does not seem to be returning to its original shape. I was expecting that there would still be some CO2 being produced and that I could vent some of the air.

If the air remains in the jerry will it cause oxidation?

Should I add a small amount of sugar to get some CO2 production?

Bruce :unsure:

be it right or wrong i normally add about 25gms of sugar to my 8 gms of gelatine(finings) for racking and always seem to get airlock activity even if it is very brief, having said that the last brew i racked i didnt even use finings as it was going in to a bottle not even sure why i racked it ...

I tried adding a small amount of dextrose to the secondary for the first time and will not do it again with the 20L jerry cans i have. It left a ring of scum at the top where the (very small) krausen was which i cannot get rid of because the openings are too small to get anything other than a bottlebrush there.

Just another thing to be aware of...

A soak in napisan solution will get rid of that, keifer.

Bruce, the beer will oxidise...if you leave it in there long enough. A few weeks won't worry it at all.

I racked my beer into a 20L jerry can this morning. Since It was only about 17L it did not fill all the way. I squeezed out as much as possible (which wasn't a lot) and tightened the lid. The jerry can does not seem to be returning to its original shape. I was expecting that there would still be some CO2 being produced and that I could vent some of the air.

If the air remains in the jerry will it cause oxidation?

Should I add a small amount of sugar to get some CO2 production?

Bruce :unsure:

I have CC with around 2-3 litres of air space in a 10ltr container for up to 15 days. Have had no problems with oxidation.

BYB

Back