Racking Oztops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
Has anyone racked their oztops brews to a new container without loosing the fizziness?

I was thinking if I could get it off the yeast and let it chill a little more it might improve with a extra week or so. I'm only thinking about 2-3 weeks from the start of ferment to drinking it so nothing major.

Cheers

You will lose some fizz, just leave it on the bench for a day before putting it in the fridge. At this point you can put a normal lid on it (immediately after racking). I sometimes like to rack into 600mL coke bottles, which are a convenient size.

You will lose some fizz, just leave it on the bench for a day before putting it in the fridge. At this point you can put a normal lid on it (immediately after racking). I sometimes like to rack into 600mL coke bottles, which are a convenient size.

Thanks so would you do as follows?

1. Ferment as normal.
2. Put in fridge to crash chill for a few days.
3. Rack into new bottle and leave on the bench for a day to allow the yeast to re-gas a little.
4. Re-chill
5. Enjoy

Are you racking by pouring from one container to another? Or racking using a hose of some description?
You're probably less likely to lose any carbonation if you rack by lowering in a racking hose and syphoning from the top until you get to the yeast lees.

Are you racking by pouring from one container to another? Or racking using a hose of some description?
You're probably less likely to lose any carbonation if you rack by lowering in a racking hose and syphoning from the top until you get to the yeast lees.

I'll be using a hose and a funnel..

Latest posts

Back