Racking Cane And Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wombil

Reaction score
Hey Guys,Two questions here.
I have broke my glass racking cane.Can I make one from copper?Will copper have any adverse effects?
Second one,What type of thru wall fitting will I need to use this tap?
DSCF2219.JPG

I seem to remember a rule from John Palmer about not using copper post boil, I can't remember why though.

You can purchase SS racking canes in 1/2" and 3/8" which should do the job.

[edit] found it http://www.byo.com/stories/projects-and-eq...for-homebrewers
"Copper is a problem post-fermentation because it catalyzes staling reactions, including the production of hydrogen peroxide and can oxidize the alcohols to aldehydes. Finished beer should not be stored in contact with copper"

It guess depends where you're using your racking cane, either just out of the kettle, or from primary/secondary as well.

Thanks felten,I'll look for a SS cane.
Anyone know about the tap?

Yes,I was afraid of that.By the time it is set up could run into some $'.Should be able to bodgie it up tho.

Hi Wombil,
I think these taps are Allbar or Downey equipment, I'm not sure, have been out of the game too long (was a cellar man in the 80's).
I have a couple of these taps myself and one fitting, but it's only for a font or temprite front panel.
I live just outside Sydney and was going to contact CHANNON REFRIGERATION (no aff.) as they are at Kingsgrove, Sydney when I start my kegerator project for help/advice.

CHANNONS do cellar fit-outs and beer plumbing. Google them, they have a web- site.

Hope this may help.

Thanks Roy,
Will try them tho I live at Coomera,Qld. Bodgie still looke the go to me.

Back