Rack For Biab - Any Ideas?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuffa

Reaction score
I've been using 32cm cake cooling racks in the bottom of my 50L converted keg to keep the bag from melting on the bottom whilst doing step mashes, mash outs etc. These work great but are chrome plated and tend to corrode around where all the wire is welded together. I would prefer a stainless rack but can't find anything the right size and shape to fit. What are others using?

Mine is just a chrome jobbie. Yeah, its looking a bit past it, but I don't use it very often as I don't mashout in the regular way.

I use a stainless colander in my urn, i fish it out before the boil.

I've no issue with people using some sort of rack/grid/shield thing in their kettle, but I don't think such a thing is actually strictly necessary unless you're doing something that I do not.

I currently brew with a four-ring gas burner and in over one hundred gas-fired brews have not felt the need. I always BIAB mash-out and often throw in some other temp rests (I played with Hochkurz regimes for a while, as a f'rinstance.)

The simple rule is that whenever there is heat being applied to the kettle, I stir. I'd do that if I were mashing in a direct-fired tun - even without the bag - to avoid scorching the grain.

I just continue to use my standard mashtun set up.A perforated disc fb with a frypan 'splatterguard' .The latter is a stainless mesh screen available in the kitchen section of supermarkets.Popped the plastic handle insert out,bent the frame 90deg,cut a hole in the centre of the screen and mounted it on the fb using the standard elbow.Makes a great hop screen too :drinks:

The only reason I can think of for using a rack is if you are applying direct heat to the vessel while the bag is resting on the bottom.

I raise the liquor to strike temp in the urn, then switch off, dough in and lag the urn with a sleeping bag and doonah, losing around a degree per hour max.
Then I raise the bag just off the element, switch on for about 10 minutes and then switch off.
Lower bag and pump the mash for the mashout.
Raise the bag right up and switch on, draining the bag as the wort comes to the boil.

At no time does the bag material come into contact with a surface that's going to be hot enough to damage it.
Rather than racks, I'd be looking at the best possible lagging and a skyhook.

The front grill of a fan, found in the council clean up, that's what I'm using.

grill.jpg

Thanks for the replies,

I like Toper1's idea, this looks good: http://www.kitchenwaredirect.com.au/Kitche...ter-Screen-33cm . Just cut the handle off.

I run a Rambo burner and have burnt a hole in my bag once. I like having a rack under the bag as this way I don't have to raise the bag whilst having the flame on, this way I can stir while gently raising temps or ramp up the burner for quickly raising temps. Stirring while raising temps also ensures you hit the right mash temp.

Cheers
Chris

I've no issue with people using some sort of rack/grid/shield thing in their kettle, but I don't think such a thing is actually strictly necessary unless you're doing something that I do not.

I currently brew with a four-ring gas burner and in over one hundred gas-fired brews have not felt the need. I always BIAB mash-out and often throw in some other temp rests (I played with Hochkurz regimes for a while, as a f'rinstance.)

The simple rule is that whenever there is heat being applied to the kettle, I stir. I'd do that if I were mashing in a direct-fired tun - even without the bag - to avoid scorching the grain.
Same here, have never had an issue with melting bags. Just keep the mash moving while you're applying heat.

With spills.

No need for anything in the bottom of the pot, even if you are applying direct heat with the bag on the bottom of the pot. A rack/FB whatever isn't going to hurt anything, but its a belts and braces type approach. Yu need to stir while adding heat regardless of whether you have a rack or not, and if you do stir... You dont need the rack.

Different if you have a fixed electric element - you'd need something to keep the bag away from that in case it got tangled around it or something.

Bribie's trick works too - but skips some of the nice things that happen when you actually do stir your mash. Good if you are too lazy to stir or have a fixed electric element (like an urn)

Thanks for the replies,

I like Toper1's idea, this looks good: http://www.kitchenwaredirect.com.au/Kitche...ter-Screen-33cm . Just cut the handle off.

I run a Rambo burner and have burnt a hole in my bag once. I like having a rack under the bag as this way I don't have to raise the bag whilst having the flame on, this way I can stir while gently raising temps or ramp up the burner for quickly raising temps. Stirring while raising temps also ensures you hit the right mash temp.

Cheers
Chris
Go to your local Safeway and get a guard from there,only $6/7,If your keg is the same as mine,the bottom is slightly 'bowl' shaped.Ifound that with the fb and the guard together,it was the right height from the bottom to 'level' things out.The one with legs ,in your link would sit too high.Like i said, my system was my standard mt setup,not specially designed for BIAB,and you probably don't need a 'stand',but the guard also makes a fantastic hop filter screen from the kettle :icon_cheers:

The only reason I can think of for using a rack is if you are applying direct heat to the vessel while the bag is resting on the bottom.

I raise the liquor to strike temp in the urn, then switch off, dough in and lag the urn with a sleeping bag and doonah, losing around a degree per hour max.
Then I raise the bag just off the element, switch on for about 10 minutes and then switch off.
Lower bag and pump the mash for the mashout.
Raise the bag right up and switch on, draining the bag as the wort comes to the boil.

At no time does the bag material come into contact with a surface that's going to be hot enough to damage it.
Rather than racks, I'd be looking at the best possible lagging and a skyhook.

Bribie - is this still your procedure for a mashout?
I am looking at incorporating a mashout but have been worried about the bag scorching on the element (even though it is concealed.)

With spills.

No need for anything in the bottom of the pot, even if you are applying direct heat with the bag on the bottom of the pot. A rack/FB whatever isn't going to hurt anything, but its a belts and braces type approach. Yu need to stir while adding heat regardless of whether you have a rack or not, and if you do stir... You dont need the rack.

Different if you have a fixed electric element - you'd need something to keep the bag away from that in case it got tangled around it or something.

Bribie's trick works too - but skips some of the nice things that happen when you actually do stir your mash. Good if you are too lazy to stir or have a fixed electric element (like an urn)
TB - You say Bribie's trick works fine but it skips some of the nice things that happen when stirring. Would you mind elaborating for me please as to the pros and cons of the suggested procedure?

I use a Crown Urn with a concealed element and am thinking of doing a mashout to improve my efficiency but am hesitant due to possible scorching of the bag and feel that including a rack or similar is a waste of time and would be 1 more thing to clutter up my storage space. (only have one bag atm)

Also I need to get this straight.... for a mashout - after your "rest" (mash) period you raise the temp for say 10 minutes to say 75C. Is this 10 minutes once temp is at 75C or is 10 minutes from the time you start adding heat?

Bribie - is this still your procedure for a mashout?
I am looking at incorporating a mashout but have been worried about the bag scorching on the element (even though it is concealed.)

TB - You say Bribie's trick works fine but it skips some of the nice things that happen when stirring. Would you mind elaborating for me please as to the pros and cons of the suggested procedure?

I use a Crown Urn with a concealed element and am thinking of doing a mashout to improve my efficiency but am hesitant due to possible scorching of the bag and feel that including a rack or similar is a waste of time and would be 1 more thing to clutter up my storage space. (only have one bag atm)

Also I need to get this straight.... for a mashout - after your "rest" (mash) period you raise the temp for say 10 minutes to say 75C. Is this 10 minutes once temp is at 75C or is 10 minutes from the time you start adding heat?

I would like to do a mash out but use an urn with an exposed element. I'm assuming even with stirring, the element would still burn the bag as it touches it directly.

What exactly is "A perforated disc fb"?

I use one of these, around $15 from a kitchen shop.

curved_roasting_rack.jpeg

curved_roasting_rack_2__Large_.jpg

I also discovered it's a good idea to tie some brickies twine onto it so you can fish it out :rolleyes:

I use one of these, around $15 from a kitchen shop.

View attachment 50791

View attachment 50792

I also discovered it's a good idea to tie some brickies twine onto it so you can fish it out :rolleyes:

What diameter is your urn Bribie? Mines 30cm. Are they all about that and vary in height only????

Ive actually looked in just about every $2 shop etc I come across and still haven't found anything suitable.

It fits a Crown perfectly and would be a bit looser in a Birko. You'll generally only get these from MasterCheffy stores like House or the like.

It fits a Crown perfectly and would be a bit looser in a Birko. You'll generally only get these from MasterCheffy stores like House or the like.

Thanks mate I think theres a house at the shopping centre here so will check it out. Cheers

I know it's an old thread, but I've just seen those 'splashguards' at Kmart for $3 and it says on the pack that it is stainless steel.

You'd have to saw the handle off, and raise it off the bottom of the pot a little somehow though. $3 is pretty good though for stainless steel.

//Graham

I looked at the splatter guards but they are a bit big for urns and they are meant for big frying pans. Wouldn't hurt to go into the store with a ruler and check them out, though.

Latest posts

Back