Quick Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ribsmasherau

Reaction score
Just about to get a 2nd brew going in my other fermenter and my mrs said can a add a cut up lemon to it to give a lemony taste will this work?

Just about to get a 2nd brew going in my other fermenter and my mrs said can a add a cut up lemon to it to give a lemony taste will this work?
Until someone more knowledgeable pipes up, I think Ive read that this
would be too bitter due to the pith (white stuff) in the rind - I think the
proper way is to use the zest (by grating the outer layer of the peel only)
of the lemon.

here is a extract recipe with lemon in it, Its extract but using the lemon is the same.

Recipe

Go for it just try and not use the white section of the lemon as it might add an undesirable flavor. Zest and juice it

I find adding it at drinking stage to be an alright option and everyone thinks their top stuff with a chunk of lemon in their beer.

Unless you treat the lemon with some kind of sanitisation step you are risking infection from anything that may be in or on the lemon. Usually you would need to add the lemon (or part of it, using the zest as malty hops mentioned) to the boil for 10 minutes to kill off any nasties. I just had a thought... what about adding the juice from some lemons into the secondary. the juice from lemons is about pH 2.5 IIRC which should be enough to kill off any bugs (as starsan works like this at a pH of <3). Im happy to be corrected if anyone may dissagree with this idea. Would like to hear others opinions.

Cheers

I reckon unless you can get a lemon flavour from your hops just do a lager or pilsner and serve it up with a slice of lemon.

I reckon unless you can get a lemon flavour from your hops just do a lager or pilsner and serve it up with a slice of lemon.

maybe some sorachi ace hops. never tried them but they are supposed to have a lemon thing to them.

Back