Quick Question Regarding Pitching Onto A Yeastcake...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0M39A

Reaction score
Right, quick question here:

For my next brew i'm planning on pitching straight onto a US-05 yeast cake from my previous brew.

The question I have is, do I need to scrub off the scum ring from the previous brews krausen, or is it ok to leave it exactly how it is after bottling and pitch straight onto it?

cheers.

Depends. If the batch is bigger than the last and the ring will dissolve into the brew, that's bad. If it's a lower volume or the same, you'll be OK. Although i'm not sure if it dissolving back into the brew is that much of a problem anyway, it will all get blown back out by the CO2.

Only time i did it i had a 20L batch followed by a 17L, and because it was lower in volume i had no problem. If it were bigger i'd probably save the yeastcake into a sanitised jar, clean the fermenter, resanitise, then add the wort and yeast in.

I have just pitched straight onto the yeast cake. First batch was about 17l and this one is about 16l.
Hope i haven't buggered it up :( .
I didn't clean the fermenter <_<

I'm sure you'll be fine. I've never done it, just preferring to do it the way DJR explained, but I know a lot of people do it with no problems.

i did it once - its a lot of yeast, the krausen nearly hit the roof.

hmm, might just scoop out a jar full of yeast trub, then give the carboy a quick clean with some sodium percarbonate, then a rinse, then a quick spray with some hydrogen peroxide and pitch the yeast straight into that then.

I think it's worth the effort. Pretty quick really, and then you can pitch a more reasonable amount of yeast and avoid mopping the ceiling. :lol:

I have just pitched straight onto the yeast cake. .....I didn't clean the fermenter <_<
the same procedure here :)

sometimes I do it 5 or 6 times in a row, without cleaning the fermenter.
Why one should clean? there is no dirt in and the CO2-Layer protects perfectly.
Id say, to clean the fermenter and pitch the yeast again would be even more dangerous.

Cheers

the same procedure here :)

sometimes I do it 5 or 6 times in a row, without cleaning the fermenter.
Why one should clean? there is no dirt in and the CO2-Layer protects perfectly.
Id say, to clean the fermenter and pitch the yeast again would be even more dangerous.

Cheers

I'm with the German Beer Legend :beer:

I've only done it a few times in a row because I tend to brew different styles. I don't clean the fermenter and the ring around the top... never fussed over it. It is just dried yeast from the krausen right?

Either way never had a problem

I've only done it a few times in a row because I tend to brew different styles. I don't clean the fermenter and the ring around the top... never fussed over it. It is just dried yeast from the krausen right?
yeah, I see it the same way :)

I do it not so often either, only when my stock threaten to run empty, for example after an Aussie-BBQ in my backyard :p

of course, it doesnt look neat, but who cares? put the lid on it and it will become a great beer :beerbang:

Beside Id like to mention that those beers are tasting best.

Wouldn't cleaning the fermenter negate any advantage gained by dumping onto the cake? :unsure:

I mean, the reason people do that is because it's easy. If you have to clean the ring off, you may as well ditch most of the cake too and start it off with a smaller quantity of yeast IMHO.

I do it not so often either, only when my stock threaten to run empty, for example after an Aussie-BBQ in my backyard

That Zwickel
lol-045.gif

Call me a clean freak, I use another sanitised (Bleached) fermenter and Dave Logsdon's (Wyeast) 10:1 rule (or near enough 250ml of yeast slurry in 23 Litres of wort) Swirl the remaining beer and yeast around into a slurry and pour out through the tap into a sanitised measuring jug up to 250ml. Tip that in to your next brew and watch it go. I do pitch onto the whole yeastcake occasionally during colder months when bugs/infections aren't so prevalent. WARNING USE A BLOW OFF TUBE if pitching onto the whole of the yeastcake from your last batch. The yeasty little buggers will climb out through the airlock and make a real mess.

Beside Id like to mention that those beers are tasting best.

i find this too...!
especially with US-56 (05), the second and third beer seem to be cleaner, smoother and "tasing best" :D
(oh and i dont clean the ferm either, if i was going to go to the trouble of cleaning and sanitising i would just pitch a new packet)

I've usually recovered a cup (or large mug) of slurry and pitched that into a clean wort in a clean fermenter. Now I've got two No-Chill beers on the runway and two No-Lager lagers in the fridge, I might try the AHB No-Clean Method just to complete the set.

i have repitched onto the trub almost as often as i pitch new yeast and i have never had problems even with the scum ring. after all i thought it was just yeast that got caught on the sides. you can get a cleaner style beer when pitching onto the trub (as opposed to dry yeast) and i get similar results to liquid yeast (i spose cause of the high viable yeast count).

i have also never had a blowout, but i keep my temps low and ferment 25l batches in a 30l fermenter.

good luck and dont stress!

if the beer coming out of the fermenter tastes good and there is no infection, just try and keep it as sanitary as you can when you pour in the second wort. :beer:

I just empty the new beer into the empty fermenter. I dont clean anything. I love the violent ferments of the beers pitched onto a yeastcake.

cheers
johnno

Ok, I'm sold. I'll give it a go, and get the whole set like PostModern. :D

Here's a question for the troop... well several questions which are collectively "my problem".

I have one 1.045 beer of 17 litres and one 1.070 beer of 20 litres. I was going to pitch two packs of Nottingham into the 1.070 OR pitch one pack into the 1.-45 beer and let the fermentation of the first make up the numbers for the second. However, it'll mean submerging the scum line in the second beer...

So, ideal pitching rates or submerged scum? One or two packs of yeast?

Here's a question for the troop... well several questions which are collectively "my problem".

I have one 1.045 beer of 17 litres and one 1.070 beer of 20 litres. I was going to pitch two packs of Nottingham into the 1.070 OR pitch one pack into the 1.-45 beer and let the fermentation of the first make up the numbers for the second. However, it'll mean submerging the scum line in the second beer...

So, ideal pitching rates or submerged scum? One or two packs of yeast?

Submerged scum or 2 packets, either will work fine. 1 packet is under pitching a tad.

cheers Ross

Back