Quick Question Regarding Pitching Onto A Yeastcake...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am keen to try re-pitching my next brew with a cup of slurry from the current one, however I can't do it all on the same day. What is the best way to store the slurry overnight? Obviously I will put it into a sterilised & covered jar or bottle, but should I put it in the fridge or will leaving it at ferment temp (18C) be okay?

If you are just leaving overnight it will be fine in a covered jar at room temperature. I use 440ml olive jars with screw caps to store my yeast slurry in the fridge and usually leave out to warm up for at least 4 hours before pitching to avoid shocking the yeast.
Have had yeast in the fridge for months and never had one fail to fire (so far).

Im thinking about pitching onto a US-05 yeast cake, I probably should consider some yeast washing as the previous brew was extensively cube and dry hopped, but if I dont wash cause Im pushed for time, am I likely to pick up some flavour from the hops in the trub or are they pretty much spent by this stage?

I am keen to try re-pitching my next brew with a cup of slurry from the current one, however I can't do it all on the same day. What is the best way to store the slurry overnight? Obviously I will put it into a sterilised & covered jar or bottle, but should I put it in the fridge or will leaving it at ferment temp (18C) be okay?

my method is to put it in the fridge, let it settle a bit, seperate from the trub and wash in cooled boiled water, and when you need it on brew day bring it out and let return to temps.

I now try and collect from the previous brew, and as I now have 2 going at a time a week apart I have plenty to wash at any given time (weekly botteling sessions)... now my problem is running out of bottles :rolleyes:

I did do it all in one day the other week.. bottle, collect yeast and wash while I was brewing the next one.. it did turn into a mommoth 8 hour event so Im trying to not do it this way again.. must be said too that that brew was a 1050 wort and it was at 1010 7 days later!! Packet yeast (05) was always 2 weeks for me, pretty happy to get it down to a 2 week turn around!! :beerbang:

Yob

If pitching on to yeast cake make sure temperature is not too high when it takes off can produce a lot of heat .

I'm thinking about pitching onto a US-05 yeast cake, I probably should consider some yeast washing as the previous brew was extensively cube and dry hopped, but if I don't wash cause I'm pushed for time, am I likely to pick up some flavour from the hops in the trub or are they pretty much spent by this stage?

personally I would wash it, but seeing as how people just throw it in on top, if a similar brew you should be fine.. never done this myself though... just doesnt feel right, I like to pitch cleaned yeast and no trub of hop debris.

thats Just me though :unsure: .... the nervous sort

Im thinking about pitching onto a US-05 yeast cake, I probably should consider some yeast washing as the previous brew was extensively cube and dry hopped, but if I dont wash cause Im pushed for time, am I likely to pick up some flavour from the hops in the trub or are they pretty much spent by this stage?
It takes a few minutes to rinse your yeast, and that way you remove any hop or trub debris and have a good idea of exactly how much yeast you are re-pitching.

makes sense, I should wash the yeast,

besides, Cleanliness is next to Godliness, and beer is my God :icon_cheers:

Back