Quick question - re-using PET bottle tops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauchiemb

Reaction score
Hi
I have just started drinking my Coopers Wheat Beer (which is awesome) and am about to start the Heritage Lager kit. I just want to know whether I should be saving the bottle tops from my PET bottles or do I need to buy new ones every time - I am obviously aiming to re-use the bottles.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Lauchlan

Yep, keep using them, just wash and sterilise throughly

Welcome to the slippery slope

It costs just under $4 for 30 caps from coopers store for a bag of new ones .... for that money why stuff around with old ones?

My brewstore sells 60 for nine bucks. Last time I bought them the bloke asked me why I was throwing my money away buying bottle tops when I could be spending my money on hops instead. Now I buy hops instead!

Still on the original bottle tops after about 3 years and a pile of brews never had a problem I just chuck them in a jug of steralising fluid on bottling day and they are ready to go.

Yep, likewise with Tropical_Brews, I've used the same caps for nearly 2 years, reckon I've cycled through over half a dozen times for the lots that I have with no probs. I'll turf them if the little blue seal bit inside the cap is looking a bit manky. I've found it's the PET bottles that go first, being a bit slack and not rinsing well means a build up in the little feet that just wont shift, not even a long soak in PBW does the job. But caps? No worries.
cheers!

oglennyboy said:
Yep, likewise with Tropical_Brews, I've used the same caps for nearly 2 years, reckon I've cycled through over half a dozen times for the lots that I have with no probs. I'll turf them if the little blue seal bit inside the cap is looking a bit manky.
The blue seal can be taken out using a pin gently at the outer edge to lift it up when crud builds up under the seal for a good pbw/starsan cleanup.

Don't make the mistake of pouring boiling water into the cap to sterilise - it will just melt the blue seal and distort out of shape.

oglennyboy said:
I've found it's the PET bottles that go first, being a bit slack and not rinsing well means a build up in the little feet that just wont shift, not even a long soak in PBW does the job. But caps? No worries.
cheers!
Is that including using a bottle brush with the pbw clean?

I reused tops 3 to 4 times no problems.

Have changed over to glass as some of the beers I want to store for longer than 6 months which is undesirable in PET bottles.

Latest posts

Back