Quick Question Re Caramelising

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesunsettree

Drink Drank Drunk
Reaction score
hi all,

i'm about to start the boil on an ale based around manticles youngs london ale clone. i slightly adjusted my grain bill around what i had on hand and am currently quite happy with the colour and dont think i want it any darker. with that in mind is there any reason to do the caramlisation step for flavour. next time i'll tone down the crystals so i can caramelise to see the flavour profile. at the moment with what i see in the kettle my thoughts are that darkening the wort with a caramelisation might be detrimental to the intended final product. anyway, any thoughts?....

cheers
matt

p.s. i didn't post recipe as i dont think its relevant to the actual question

Hi mate. In my experience, caramelisation (technically just reduction and maillard reactions but that's anal and long winded) adds something to flavour.

You will still make good beer without it. Try it without this time and with next time and see for your own tastes.

Hi mate. In my experience, caramelisation (technically just reduction and maillard reactions but that's anal and long winded) adds something to flavour.

You will still make good beer without it. Try it without this time and with next time and see for your own tastes.

thanks mate,
yea thats what i decided to do. Boil is nearly finished and it looks and smells fantastic. I'm really enjoying my journey into brit beer making. 4 batches made and loving it, although havnt been able to drink any yet but the first one in the fermenter is nearly done so maybe next weekend i can unleash it on the tastebuds.

Cheers
matt

Back