Quick Query

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Major Arcana

Reaction score
Howdy Fellas,

Sorry got another question, I am planning on doing an APA this weekend and have been using Ian's spreadsheet, i have entered in a Coopers Australian Pale Ale kit then added in my specialty grains and hops etc and married up the style and recipe.
Now i have also done the exact same recipe but have taken out the Cooper Pale Ale kit and replaced it with LME, everything is all looking good on the spreadsheet.

My question is which Recipe would you choose? I am leaning more towards the LME mainly because i am trying to avoid the "twang" taste that i have encountered a few times with Kits, but the Coopers Kit is specified for that type of beer, just a little confused as to which direction i should take.

Would love to hear your thoughts,

Cheers,

Dan

Coopers kit is already bittered with hops (or extract) but the LME isn't.

You are adding more hops but how? Normally bitterness extraction from hops needs them boiled in wort (malt extract dissolved in water) for 60 minutes. More hops = more bitterness. Shorter boil = less bitterness.

Figure out the bitterness bit and you'd be right.

I did a complete LDME brew for my first exstract and even though a ballsed up the brew day with a boil over and over filling my FV by a litre it turned out to be my best APA to date and was nice after a week. Ive since done a coopers APA and after two weeks in the bottle its still got off flavours.

I'll be sticking to all extracts for my lighter beers from now on however the stout and porter I've got ageing were both kit based and turned out real crackers and will definitely be doing again.

practicalfool said:
Coopers kit is already bittered with hops (or extract) but the LME isn't.

You are adding more hops but how? Normally bitterness extraction from hops needs them boiled in wort (malt extract dissolved in water) for 60 minutes. More hops = more bitterness. Shorter boil = less bitterness.

Figure out the bitterness bit and you'd be right.
Hi practicalfool,

I have compensated for the loss of IBU from the Coopers Kit and upped the hops for the LME recipe, so basically i have 20g of centennial boiling for 60min then i have some amarillo and cascade going in 5 mins before flame out. This got the IBU to exactly where it needed to be. (does that make sense?) :unsure:

cheers,

Yep, looks like you have it in hand then. I've not used that spreadsheet so didn't know what it allows you to do.

practicalfool said:
Yep, looks like you have it in hand then. I've not used that spreadsheet so didn't know what it allows you to do.
Thanks mate, have you checked Ian's spreadsheet out before? Its quite good! :)

Ahhhh. Never really did too many kits (2) so never quite needed to. All grain brewing is the shizzle and takes a lot longer and causes a lot more procatrination :p I don't drink enough these days to warrant throwing down kits.

Major Arcana said:
Hi practicalfool,

I have compensated for the loss of IBU from the Coopers Kit and upped the hops for the LME recipe, so basically i have 20g of centennial boiling for 60min then i have some amarillo and cascade going in 5 mins before flame out. This got the IBU to exactly where it needed to be. (does that make sense?) :unsure:

cheers,
Nice one Major! sounds like the makings of a good beer.
Using an S-05?

gsouth said:
Nice one Major! sounds like the makings of a good beer.
Using an S-05?
G'day gsouth

indeed i am mate, going to try my first active yeast starter also, all up hoping she turns out well!

cheers :icon_cheers:

Dan

Back