Quick And Easy Jerky?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I've got one of these. They work on a slightly different approach than what Ducatiboy Stu describes. With this device, you basically purchase extra lean mince (must be extra lean with any jerky making method) and it operates much like a caulking gun. With the attachments you can make wide jerky straps or round sticks - the round sticks was my primary reason to purchase it.

Overall it works well, it's just a different approach to making jerky. You mix dry seasonings through your mince rather than marinading the meat so it's quicker. Texture wise, I think definitely the more traditional method has the edge over using mince though, and it's probably cheaper too because extra lean mince is far more expensive per kg than silver side or other cheaper cuts of meat which can be used. I get around this by using my electric mincer to produce my own minced meat though, several passes through and I've got quite lean mince.

I do use a dehydrator and not an oven so it's ready between 6~12 hours depending on the ambient temperature and humidity. That's from mincing to getting ready to store it so it's definitely quicker.

So it's the Jerky works for speed and being able to give a good taste, and the traditional way for better texture, great taste and cheaper to make.

Is it any good for making something like twiggies (i.e. using the round stick attachment)?

Mince isn't hard to make using the two knives method - probably just as fast as mechanical.

How much meat makes how much jerky? Same sort of losses as by the traditional method?

Cheers - Fermented.

Hi Fermented,

making twiggies with it is only really half possible as twiggies have a casing where as jerky does not. You do get something which you can enjoy in a similar way with your homebrew like a twiggy.

Not sure of the losses, I've never measured it. I'm making some more tomorrow so I'll post the results.

cheers!
Simon

Is it any good for making something like twiggies (i.e. using the round stick attachment)?

Mince isn't hard to make using the two knives method - probably just as fast as mechanical.

How much meat makes how much jerky? Same sort of losses as by the traditional method?

Cheers - Fermented.

Hi Simon

Thanks for the heads-up.

I figured that there might not be a casing, but given that the twiggies casings are most likely a synthetic it would a better thing not to have it in the big picture.

Hope to hear from you on the final product vs meat weights.

Cheers - Fermented.

Back