Questions about Homebrew Legality in Queensland

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
perhaps setup a bowling alley, and setup the ball return to return the balls with beer in the finger holes.... worked for the beer baron

Talk to the local council that covers the area in which the event will be held, and talk to the liquor licensing people at the state government. They'll tell you what licences and permissions you need, what restrictions you need to observe and so on. If it looks like you'll get past the local and state requirements, talk to the ATO. They should be fine if there was no money involved and the quantities small, but may have issues as there's an entry fee to the event and the quantity suggests something more than say a club trying to get new members. Be as open as possible, provide full disclosure to all bodes you talk to, and ensure you understand and strictly adhere to any conditions. If you can't get them to provide you with written responses, keep notes, get the name of the person you spoke to and the call reference number if there is one.

It'll take time and effort, and you may end up not being able to do it, but make sure you get it right. The fines and penalties for getting it wrong are draconian.

Good thread. Non profit things. Events. Free craft beer, foods etc. All in good will more than anything.
Sounds so good. Maybe too good to be true! - Enter Politics.

To the opening post I say Legend!

I'm not a Legal reps arsehole but surely this a least would be covered under the food and beverage act.
No producers licence/ accreditation so no indemnity so total accountability .
Don't go in blind,cover your arse by not doing it.

While the excise point is valid I dont see a bespeckled ATO officer out and about during weekends looking to bust a homebrewer- they have bigger fish to fry. The cops are the ones you would need to worry about.

If in a small town, liberally dose the sergeant with said homebrew. If it is good stuff your will be left alone and the community will reap the rewards of your toil and diligance. If it is headache inducing fusal shit then the copper will liekly come a knockin and the community will be saved .

* The above may or maynot betyped wile isa adrunkkkkkkkkkkkk,

Droopy Brew said:
While the excise point is valid I dont see a bespeckled ATO officer out and about during weekends looking to bust a homebrewer- they have bigger fish to fry. The cops are the ones you would need to worry about.
They say the same thing about fishing inspectors

Unless you get EVERYTHING in writing you would be a fool to attempt it.

And you can bet your balls that someone will complain about it ( especially brewery reps, bottle shop owners..etc...... and dont think for a minute that they wont )

I don't know enough about liquor licensing, but under the Food Act 2006 you'd require a food business licence (beer/drinks etc are food) where you (by definition) manufacture the beer you want to give away.

You don't need a food licence to sell drinks (give away is included in the definition of sell by the way), however you'd need the manufacturing licence.

SBOB said:
perhaps setup a bowling alley, and setup the ball return to return the balls with beer in the finger holes.... worked for the beer baron
You're out there somewhere Beer Baron, and I'll find you
"No you won't!"

Ducatiboy stu said:
They say the same thing about fishing inspectors

Unless you get EVERYTHING in writing you would be a fool to attempt it.

And you can bet your balls that someone will complain about it ( especially brewery reps, bottle shop owners..etc...... and dont think for a minute that they wont )
Yeah but nahhh. Fisheries inspectors are out there on weekends- that is their job- catch people flouting fisheries laws.

ATO staff couldnt give a flying flapadoodles flapdoodle about some bloke pumping some a couple of cornies with a bronco tap. Sure it is illegal in their eyes and if in the rare instance they were overbooked for the DnD group and were forced to wander the great outdoors they happened upon it they might do something but more than likely they would grab a plastic cup and grab a free beer.

If you think a concerned citizen might be an issue, I challenge you to give the ATO a call on a weekend and see how long you can listen to Greensleeves.

I'm getting married in September and plan on giving away several kegs of homebrew on the night. I don't see how this is much different if he isn't charging anyone. Legal, probably not. But I reckon it would have to be an arsehole cop or a really out of control party for you to get any slack.

and how do we get an invite?

Droopy Brew said:
Yeah but nahhh. Fisheries inspectors are out there on weekends- that is their job- catch people flouting fisheries laws.

ATO staff couldnt give a flying flapadoodles flapdoodle about some bloke pumping some a couple of cornies with a bronco tap. Sure it is illegal in their eyes and if in the rare instance they were overbooked for the DnD group and were forced to wander the great outdoors they happened upon it they might do something but more than likely they would grab a plastic cup and grab a free beer.

If you think a concerned citizen might be an issue, I challenge you to give the ATO a call on a weekend and see how long you can listen to Greensleeves.
Guess you could tell that to the guys up here that got done by the ATO for sly grog.....

Just moved the swear jar from on top of the kegerator. :p

More details Stuart. Was this persistant sly grogging?

Being Grafton, Im sure the ATO pay special attention to those profiting from the distribution of inebriating substances.

Home brewing was legalised in Australia under Prime Minister Gough Whitlam's Labor government in 1973 – in fact, the home-brew law was one of the very first among a raft of new legislation introduced by the highly reformist regime. Before that, it had been legal to make beer at home but only if it was around 1 per cent alcohol (in other words, gnat's bladder weak).

The exact wording of the new law introduced under Whitlam allows home brewers to make 22 litres of beer per week

Droopy Brew said:
More details Stuart. Was this persistant sly grogging?

Being Grafton, Im sure the ATO pay special attention to those profiting from the distribution of inebriating substances.
You are missing the point

The Op is going to do it out in the open at a public event......

Latest posts

Back