Questions about Homebrew Legality in Queensland

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evildrakey

Reaction score
Okay... One for those amateur lawyers out there...

I'm at an event (as part of the non-brewing club I belong too) where they've charged a ticket for the event.
The ticket covers accomodation, entertainment, food, etc... All above board.

How, if I decide to setup a tent and give away about 20 corny kegs of beer and cider how legal is that.
It's unlicenced, I'm not charging in any way and am actually giving it away, serving it responsibly.

If the Queensland Police pop in for another reason and see this, am I breaking any laws? To be ABSOLUTELY clear, I'm receiving no financial compensation whatsoever from the event, or attendees, apart from hugs and undying adoration.

Am I good, or is this a bad idea?

Illegal

the ATO will want to have a chat, as will the QLD Police

Homebrew is for personal consumption

There's other threads on topics similar to this. Somebody may be able to point you in the right direction or you might need to search for a bit.

2 things though:
You say you're serving it responsibly - do you have RSA?
You've made it absolutely clear to us that you're receiving no financial compensation but the police or liquor licensing might not accept that especially if you've got 20 cornies, might take a bit to convince them that you're just giving it away.

earle said:
There's other threads on topics similar to this. Somebody may be able to point you in the right direction or you might need to search for a bit.

2 things though:
You say you're serving it responsibly - do you have RSA?
You've made it absolutely clear to us that you're receiving no financial compensation but the police or liquor licensing might not accept that especially if you've got 20 cornies, might take a bit to convince them that you're just giving it away.
We'll only have 6 taps on per night for 3 night... I'm sure the rest can be distributed amongst peoples tents...
And yes, ABSOLUTELY CRYSTAL CLEAR. We're doing it for the love

They could argue that as you are part of the (non brewing club) that the cost of the beer is in the cost of the ticket and you are allegedly, making some financial gain. With a moniker like 'evil' not exactly low profile for doing something above board. :ph34r:

wide eyed and legless said:
They could argue that as you are part of the (non brewing club) that the cost of the beer is in the cost of the ticket and you are allegedly, making some financial gain. With a moniker like 'evil' not exactly low profile for doing something above board. :ph34r:
We'll actually be able to cover that as the event will have a proper financial report produced for it. We can easily prove that.
And the 'evil' is a joke because everyone comments on how nice I actually am. Like calling a short guy 'lofty'...

Even if you give it away, the ATO are not going to be very enthusiastic about what you plan to do

Either way, I would definately not be doing it.

Could end up very, very expensive on your part.

evildrakey said:
We'll actually be able to cover that as the event will have a proper financial report produced for it. We can easily prove that.
They wont care about that. You are an unlicenced producer and distributor, and you wont have paid excise, regardless of your motives or charity

Liam_snorkel said:
  • nursing homes
  • retirement villages

3-grampa-simpson.jpg

evildrakey said:
And the 'evil' is a joke because everyone comments on how nice I actually am. Like calling a short guy 'lofty'...
I can run with that, they used to call me,'Hop Head' nothing to do with the beer I drank, but how many buds I could get into a cone. :)

evildrakey said:
Yeah. They use to call me 'not that ******* arsehole'.
Ha ha. What a bunch of kidders..

I think.

Call it a beer comp and all the punters are judges :)

As there is a cost for entry I think u would be in trouble

Yep, you will need a temporary liquor licence to serve, even then there are limitations like 100ml cups and shit like that

Would it make any difference if the event was advertised BYO and the OP didn’t serve? Just allowed his fellow club members to pour their own from his kegs, didn’t serve it himself so peeps just helped themselves?

Would it be any different from a group going to a BYO buffet restaurant and sharing someone’s home brew?

Latest posts

Back