Question about poppet valves

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm just starting kegging, and decided to get a new set of poppet valves for my keg posts - better safe than sorry.

They're from kegking (great prices, great service, fast delivery!), and I think they're supposed to be 'universal' but I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how they're supposed to work.

Looking at the pic, the existing poppet valve is on the left, new one on the right. As you can see, the spring and 'nib'(?) are approximately the same height, but the new ones are missing the 3-legged base - which is also a bit too narrow at its top to support the broad base of the new spring.

poppets.jpg

I gave it a go anyway, just inserting the new poppet valve into the post, hoping that attaching it to the keg would push up the spring enough, however it doesn't - the nib doesn't properly come up through the centre of the post, and certainly wouldn't seal.

I'm not even sure that the broader base of the new spring will fit properly into the post - it stops just at the same point that the 3 legs of the tripod usually stop:

photo 2.JPG

So - am I missing something? Should I be able to get a new 'base' for this spring that will work? Perhaps I could insert a washer between the old tripod and the new spring? Would that be food safe?

Oh - they're ball-lock kegs from CraftBrewer. And yes, the old poppets seem to be in good condition, so there is that.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob
Ok I have these as stock too but usually they are sold with a new post so the height matches.
You are not missing anything, they just wont work with your keg post.
Nev

Sorry but I have never seen these types of poppits. The only ones I have ever seen (even at KK) are the ones on the left.

EDIT: Beaten by a meaningful post. Sorry.

i have tried the universal ones,not very good unless i am not installing properly either.and i use pinlock..

Possibly the short poppet posted by the OP is a Coca Cola pinlock poppet?

got a beer from kegger one night and saw a puddle ,the bloody original poppet was spewing and i knew i had the same universal poppets as a stand by i released the preasure and installed the newer poppet all was fixed .

they worked fine for me

looks like the last one here but way too short

Pennywise said:
looks like the last one here but way too short
Yes - the new one is almost identical to the one on the right, except the spring is thicker/stronger and broader at the base.

i just got the longer universal(right) and fits my post really well.the orginal poppet was the No1 Type

Back