Question about Kegerators and Cornelius Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cunners

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm only just new to this forum but I was told it was a great place to find good answers to homebrewing questions.

I recently purchased a Kegerator, The same as in this ebay listing and I am very happy with it so far although I am yet to pour a beer.

The problem is that I had to buy the 3 post mix kegs separately and they arrived yesterday and I cannot fit 3 into the fridge like the kegerator ad suggested. I emailed the seller of the kegerator and he has told me the kegs I bought are non standard. The ad for the kegs is here.

One of the kegs still has the coca cola stamp on it so I am struggling as to how this is non-standard. The kegs are pin-lock 19 litre post mix kegs.

I have included a couple of photos of the kegs and the fridge. You will notice about a 1cm overhang that prevents the door shutting.

So to my questions. Has any other member had a similar experience, or does anyone know the difference between different cornelius keg sizes. Is the guy right that I have non standard kegs? What is standard?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

photo (1).JPG

photo.JPG

Yours are standard... But one of two standards. Coke vs Pepsi.... Coke used pin locks like yours that are marginally shorter and wider than the ball lock Pepsi kegs.

so as not to confuse you most of the 'coke kegs' have had their posts switched out to ball lock as it is the most popular fitting.

You can switch the posts from pinlock to ball lock but you will struggle to make them higher and thinner.

Coke kegs are shorter and fatter than Pepsi kegs ( ball lock ).

You have stumbled into what many have done including myself. These kegerators do not fit three pinlocks. Only ball lock.

Never fair. I sold my 3 pinlocks for a great price on gumtree. Enough in fact to buy 4 ball locks!

My old brew club in Brisbane had a club keg that did the rounds, it's a coke keg that's been fitted with ball locks, and I've had it in my possession a couple of times for club brews.

I have the same kegerator as yours and indeed it wouldn't fit. Sell them and re purchase as per Cube's advice. There may even be guys on this forum who are looking for pinlocks, maybe post in the For Sale thread.

Three ball locks do fit ok, after a bit of Keg Tetris :p

<advice> While on the subject, if you are new to kegging:

Get a no return valve to stop beer accidentally going up the gas line and destroying your regulator

You will be using splitters to run a line to each keg from the single gas in line. I'd recommend fixed barbed splitters, not the detachable John Guest variety. With those kegerators there's not much head space and the splitters can get stressed and the JG ones can leak and waste half a bottle before you know it.

equal t plastic.jpg

On the other hand shell out a bit more for your quick disconnects and rather than the cheap barbed ones, get the ones that take a JG fitting, so you can twist and turn them easily when popping them on and off the kegs. The fixed ones would drive you nuts. The QDs don't get much stress on them so in this case the JG is the good choice.

Quick disconnects.jpg

Bribie G said:
My old brew club in Brisbane had a club keg that did the rounds, it's a coke keg that's been fitted with ball locks, and I've had it in my possession a couple of times for club brews.

I have the same kegerator as yours and indeed it wouldn't fit. Sell them and re purchase as per Cube's advice. There may even be guys on this forum who are looking for pinlocks, maybe post in the For Sale thread.

Three ball locks do fit ok, after a bit of Keg Tetris :p

<advice> While on the subject, if you are new to kegging:

Get a no return valve to stop beer accidentally going up the gas line and destroying your regulator

You will be using splitters to run a line to each keg from the single gas in line. I'd recommend fixed barbed splitters, not the detachable John Guest variety. With those kegerators there's not much head space and the splitters can get stressed and the JG ones can leak and waste half a bottle before you know it.

attachicon.gif
equal t plastic.jpg

On the other hand shell out a bit more for your quick disconnects and rather than the cheap barbed ones, get the ones that take a JG fitting, so you can twist and turn them easily when popping them on and off the kegs. The fixed ones would drive you nuts. The QDs don't get much stress on them so in this case the JG is the good choice.

attachicon.gif
Quick disconnects.jpg
Thanks for all the great advice

Back