Question About Flavour Change

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesunsettree

Drink Drank Drunk
Reaction score
hi all

a mate of mine has a kegerator and has his beers brewed at a microbrewery on bris nth side. recently the thermostat clagged itself and his kegs spent 4/5 days at 18/20 deg before the replacement frig arrived. he swapped the kegs and gas etc and cooled over a cupl days b4 first drink. he asked me why his beer tasted different, in his words his lager now tastes like an ale (he is a mega swiller and his choice of microbrew is a mexican lager, i have drank it and to me it tastes like a full strength xxxx gold -at least thats how i would describe it). i have briefly explained to him the impossibilties of an evolution from a lager to an ale (this is the best way he can describe so dont condemn him :p ) but he cant comprehend it. he is also completely convinced that there is more alcohol in it as he feels more intoxicated, after comparative drinks, than normal.
my explanation to him is the flavour change is possibly the negative effects of high temp storage after being at low temps, and the extra feeling of intoxication is possible due to mild 'poisoning' from a bug that may be in the keg that has enjoyed the warmer temps. i have told him to purge the kegs in case there is some o2 that has made its way in while the hoses were disconnected. but thats about the best i can offer him (enter me clutching at straws :D )
can anyone offer better assistance

tia
matt

If the beer is tasting more alcoholic, then perhaps the new fridge is set too low. The beer might have slightly frozen turning it into an eisbier of sorts with an increase in both flavour and alcohol.

Just a guess, could be something completely different of course.

If the beer is tasting more alcoholic, then perhaps the new fridge is set too low. The beer might have slightly frozen turning it into an eisbier of sorts with an increase in both flavour and alcohol.

Just a guess, could be something completely different of course.

hi dth
i dont think this has happened, i have the same frig and they dont go that low. will tell him to check tho when the keg is fimished

cheers
matt

bump

hi guys,
really hoping some one can help cos my non-brewing mate is ragging me cos i cant come up with an answer :) but anyway screw him :icon_cheers:
any ideas

cheers matt

Was the beer filtered or anything?
My guess is that the yeasties that were left woke up and did some nasties in your beer. Given that lager yeasts aren't big fans of temps like that, it might explain it.

Was the beer filtered or anything?
My guess is that the yeasties that were left woke up and did some nasties in your beer. Given that lager yeasts aren't big fans of temps like that, it might explain it.

yea, good idea. i assume it was filtered. it came from a microbrewery and i have drank it and it is extremely clear. i guess there is always some yeasties around regardless of filtering. working on the theory that there were no fermentables left, ie it was properly fermented out - when yeasts attack themselves (when there is no food left) does this process create alcohol?, how long does it take for yeasties to turn on themselves?

cheers
matt

Latest posts

Back