Queenstown Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surly

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I am soon off to Queenstown NZ for a snow trip with some mates, I am wondering if there are any local beers i should look out for? I dont forsee having time to travel outside the town (unless it is up the mountains). So, reall only have a chance to visit the local bars etc.

Thanks all.

Hello Surly

I will be going to Queenstown aswell soon, one of my mates told me to try Speights?

cheers

Hello Surly

I will be going to Queenstown aswell soon, one of my mates told me to try Speights?

cheers

:icon_vomit: If youre into mega swill then yeah speights is great!

The South island has some great craft breweries, The Dux in queenstown will have an excellent variety! Look out for brands like Renaissance, Green Man, Emersons, all are :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

montieths have a bar in qtown but look out for Wanaka Beer Works if u can find it it not a bad drop also with Spieghts the dark ale is ok but avoid the gold Medal ale that is some horrid crap

Speights brewery tour was ok, but the beer is rubbish IMO.

Queenstown is expensive all round, esp this time of year.

On the slopes, if you want a drink between skiiing, take a hip flask of duty-free spirits and save yourself heaps.

Speights brewery tour was ok, but the beer is rubbish IMO.

Queenstown is expensive all round, esp this time of year.

On the slopes, if you want a drink between skiiing, take a hip flask of duty-free spirits and save yourself heaps.

haha, dont worry, I will be taking full advantage of duty free goodness!

Thanks Reviled, I will keep my eye out and make sure to visit the dux.

Theres a fantastic micro in queenstown (the ducks guts, or do duck inn or something like that), they do a taster tray of about 8 of their own beers, some brewed on site, others under licence. The barmen/women know their beers if you delve deeper than the standard " what tastes like vb/tooheys new/carlton". They are down on the flats in town about 4 blocks east of the main drag close to the water.

Do yourself a favour! You wont be disappointed.

I recommend the South Wester, a 7+% thumper that is beautifully hopped, with a great thick malty backing.

If you want a vb lookalike megaswill go to the speights ale house. They all taste the same. Bland and inoffensive!

Hello folks,

I am soon off to Queenstown NZ for a snow trip with some mates, I am wondering if there are any local beers i should look out for? I dont forsee having time to travel outside the town (unless it is up the mountains). So, reall only have a chance to visit the local bars etc.

Thanks all.

Speights and Monteiths Doppledock Ale is the go down there.
Enjoy it there, it is one of the best towns on the planet. Definitely won't run out of things to do.

Kev.

my personal tastes are for pale ales with plenty of hops, but am open minded and willing to try at least one of everything.

As for bland and inoffensive, well I am guessing my mates are going to push for that.

I'm sure you'll spend a fair amount of time at the Dux. The black shag stout will go down a treat after a day on the snow!

Also, make sure to check out a place called 'Mini Bar' on Searle Lane. It's a beer bar stocking over 100 beers with a good focus on local micros. The great thing is that they have three of the Wanaka brews, plus a great range of Emerson's, Green Man, Three Boys and other SI micro brews. I found the staff to be real knowledgeable and passionate about the beers, and they have glasses to match the beers etc.

Oh and don't drink Speights or any other mega swill....support the Micro Breweries :icon_cheers:

Theres a fantastic micro in queenstown (the ducks guts, or do duck inn or something like that), they do a taster tray of about 8 of their own beers, some brewed on site, others under licence. The barmen/women know their beers if you delve deeper than the standard " what tastes like vb/tooheys new/carlton". They are down on the flats in town about 4 blocks east of the main drag close to the water.

Do yourself a favour! You wont be disappointed.

I recommend the South Wester, a 7+% thumper that is beautifully hopped, with a great thick malty backing.

If you want a vb lookalike megaswill go to the speights ale house. They all taste the same. Bland and inoffensive!
mmmm....south wester....my mouth is watering,top drop that no joke......mmmmmmmm....cheers....spog...

Another place I forgot to mention is Arrowtown Brewery only 20 mins from Queenstown...they brew fantastic beers and I've heard from a local that the beers have improved from when I visited a few months back. It's a nice looking place with fireplace and lounges and they do food as well. Just a thought...

I spent 8 days skiing queenstown with 4 mates when i was 19. Here is a picture of our beer tower in the hotel room on the last day of the trip. Comprises mostly Ranfurly Draught 440ml cans.

Hope this helps.

p.s. Ranfurly is awesome, at least i vaguely recall it being awesome. Pretty sure it was horrible megaswill. $20 for 20 cans of 440ml each couldn't be passed up though.

SV100350.jpg

I'll be in Queenstown this Thursday until next Thursday. Will be sure to take down notes from this thread. Surly, I'll be the one in the Parramatta hoodie.

Monteiths is great stuff. Love original and the black myself, but the winter doppelbock someone mentioned is also worth a go. Give the radler and the celtic red a miss.
Macs is good, particularly Hop Rocker.
Emersons you can never find but is from Dunedin not too far away. Darn fine Dunkelweizen and Oatmeal Stout.
There's a great brew from Invercargil that rocks too - but the name escapes me.
Arrowtown is a pretty spot and even if you're not hitting the brewery is still worth a visit.

But have to draw the line at Speights. :icon_vomit: The VB analogies are true. I don't know why they call it the 'Pride of the South'.
Have heard a more apt phrase - "Drink Speights, lose your mates".

Hopper.

Another place I forgot to mention is Arrowtown Brewery only 20 mins from Queenstown...they brew fantastic beers and I've heard from a local that the beers have improved from when I visited a few months back. It's a nice looking place with fireplace and lounges and they do food as well. Just a thought...

+1 for Arrowtown brewery, has only just opened so I havnt been there myself but ive heard good things! Arrowtown is worth a visit in itself cos its a pretty cool old gold mining town!

I spent 8 days skiing queenstown with 4 mates when i was 19. Here is a picture of our beer tower in the hotel room on the last day of the trip. Comprises mostly Ranfurly Draught 440ml cans.

Hope this helps.

p.s. Ranfurly is awesome, at least i vaguely recall it being awesome. Pretty sure it was horrible megaswill. $20 for 20 cans of 440ml each couldn't be passed up though.

SV100350.jpg

Leaving the open jar of vasso out in full view for the piccie............you boys have a sheep in ya room........or........ :lol:

Cheers folk, seems I will have to bring a list with me so I wont forget anything.
Should be able to keep quite busy while off the slopes!!

this one popped into my head at work (keep ya comments to yourselves) but if you're in wanaka,for a good feed go to the irish pub and grab an irish stew,damn good,comes in a bloody big bowl.
scarfe that down then step into the bottle shop next door,a good selection of micro and mega beers in there..........cheers.....spog.......

Hey.

A bit of a revival of an old thread, but i thought I would post a pic from the Dux de' Lux pub.
I loved their Nor'wester pale ale. Would have brought a keg back with me if I could. I also really enjoyed the stout they had on tap (sou'wester).
The place is well worth the visit if you are in town.

mmmbeer.jpg

Back