Queensland Heat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler38

Reaction score
Hi all,

just wondering how people get around the Queensland heat when brewing cider. My first batch has sit at 28-32 degrees and I’m not expecting the best tasting cider at the end plus I think it’s finished fermenting in less than 4 days.
My brew needs to be in the garage but how can I keep it at an ideal temperature?
Thanks

Best: Gumtree fridge + temperature controller.
Second best: Kveik.
Gets old fast but works: bucket of water + rotating frozen soft drink bottles of water. Add a t-shirt to the fermenter to get an evaporative cooling effect.

Best: Gumtree fridge + temperature controller.
Second best: Kveik.
Gets old fast but works: bucket of water + rotating frozen soft drink bottles of water. Add a t-shirt to the fermenter to get an evaporative cooling effect.
Something like this and connected to a fridge to turn it off and on?

Attachments

• 5D3B93D7-B841-442D-817D-1A6D3F8D88E3.jpeg
    5D3B93D7-B841-442D-817D-1A6D3F8D88E3.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 10
Yep, they're great. The Wi-Fi model is a good way to go, as it's otherwise annoying to change temperatures for cold crashing (and step fermentation if you're into that sort of thing).

Hey mate I'm in bris and have been using a large esky standing on its end to allow for the height of my FV with airlock on top. I change a frozen bottle of water once a day and keeps the esky sitting around 19 degrees.

Yep, they're great. The Wi-Fi model is a good way to go, as it's otherwise annoying to change temperatures for cold crashing (and step fermentation if you're into that sort of thing).
Thanks heaps. Do you think it’s worth bottling this batch? It was made from the mangrove jacks sachet that came with the fermenter. Not sure if it’s worth wasting the time and resources if it’s going to be undrinkable due to the heat and the quick fermentation.
thanks

To be honest, I haven't made a lot of cider, as I prefer beer.

That said, my first couple of brews I ever did, were in peak Queensland summer and reached 27-28°C a couple of times, even with a water bath. The beer was delicious.

I think it's worth just bottling it.

Latest posts

Back